Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

"Killer Food Plots"?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Spike

Default "Killer Food Plots"?

Has anyone used these and what did you like or dislike about it? Did you see more deer or not?

http://www.killerfoodplots.com/Produ...-Finisher.aspx

I have a few acres not being used for anything and would like an easy to do food plot.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Killer Food Plots" is a little Extreme & Exaggerating in my opinion!

Most States don't allow putting out "Bait" but do allow the planting of Food Plots and possibly putting out a Salt or Mineral Lick for the Deer!We plant Food Plots on our Farm and also on our Hunting Lease.You can plant several different kinds and try many different seeds/plants to fit Your needs and goals.There are several plants that grow for 1 Season and others that will come back for several years if properly taken care of!

In the Spring we usually plant wheat or oats or a Clover food plot.In the Fall I like the rape,brassicas,turnips and Raddishes.You can also plant late Winter wheat that will draw in Deer late in the Season and have an early start for the following spring.

Clover is a good choice and it will last for several years,there's Alfalfa,Corn,Soybeans, Rye Grass and several others to consider.If You have a Tractor and planting equipment it is much easier to accomplish a Your Goals!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killer Food Plots huh?

You can do the same thing by going to Your local Feed/Hardware Store and buying Clover or some Rape,Brassicas,Purple Top Turnips or a Groundhog Raddishes and planting them properly,wheat and foraging oats are some other plants that come to mind besides corn or soybeans which need to be planted in a larger amounts and a bigger area in my opinion.

Clover,Alfalfa,Rye Grass and others are Perrenials and will come back for several years when properly taken care of!We have planted small food plots in tight areas where the Deer feel safer and those have really done very good and we've planted large food plots that draw in Deer and keep Them coming back each year!
Another thing that is over looked and works very well is field edges,paths and logging roads planted with Clover to draw in Deer and Turkey's!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry....Semi-Double Replies,1 was cut off and I didn't think it went thru so I tried to remember what I had typed and went thru it again.You get the idea of what I mean....Food Plots do work and it helps all the a Wildlife get thru a tough Winter and it's great to have when You take a Youth Hunting!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Winter (grain) rye makes a fine fall/winter food plot. Winter rye is more drought tolerant and more cold hardy than wheat or oats. When the rye matures the turkeys and quail love the stuff.