Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Yet another food plot question

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Yet another food plot question

I’m in the Berkeley County area of WV. I’m between the MD, and VA, state line. I hunt on 200 acres of heavily wooded property. I’m going to make what’s called a “poor man’s food plot.

There is a small clearing. I’m going to spray a 70x70 feet section with vegetation killer late spring early summer.

I’d like to plant a mix of something that will make it to late season.. any suggestions? I was thinking of planting turnips with this mix.

Thanks in advance..
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the fall I plant a variety of oats, winter rye, clover, and rape or turnips. I doubt very seriously if your gonna be able to plant anything that will make it to the late winter with only a 70'x70' plot, its just to small.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I was thinking "to small" my self.. It's the only open area available. I'll have to make it work. I may try honeysuckle...

Thanks

Last edited by theshark; 01-16-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turnips,Raddishes and Brassicas would work well together and the Turnip bulbs will last into Winter...They do well here in Missouri!