Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Chestnut seedlings growing

Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Spike

why not and you may also share the pics of the location and the tress to get us having a see of it
Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention... My wife and I were fishing a trout stream together years ago and where we pulled over to park, I noticed a bunch of chestnuts laying in a roadside ditch in about 2-3" of water. The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that they were sprouted, and the sprout was sticking out of them a good inch or so. When we got back later on, I collected up a couple dozen and took them home with the intention of starting some trees. My guesstimate is that they were Chinese chestnut or a cross of some sort, because the tree they came from was healthy looking and quite large. Not that tall, but large. I took those sprouted nuts and put them in tree pots filled with peat moss and garden soil mixed and I ended up with about a dozen young trees that were 7-8" tall by late September. I took them out to the edges of my property where they would get full sun and not a lot of competition from other trees or weeds and planted them. Well... the friggen deer nipped every one of them to the ground within a few weeks of planting so that was the end of that experiment!

BPS