Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

got a prob with road side shooters

Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default got a prob with road side shooters

What can I plant along side of road to make it harder for road side shooters to see deer... This property is wooded not field...
Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
What can I plant along side of road to make it harder for road side shooters to see deer... This property is wooded not field...
Probably not much since it is wooded. There likely won't be enough sunlight to grow any shrubs or evergreens.

You might consider cutting about 10 or 20 yards of trees and letting natural growth come up. It will be good for the deer and provide the screen you are looking for in a few years.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

are they actually shooting the deer from the road? thats illegal here and in most states i thought
Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start with some kind of low growing shrub, and don't mow down the ditch anymore.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Do a search on "Weeping Privet". In a very short time you'll have the great wall of China blocking your woods for the redneck, scum, outlaw roadhunters!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

since your here in Pa. call the game commission to set up a robo deer and catch the culprits.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Mr. Longbeard,

Check out Amur or Tartarian Honeysuckle ( I have heard it called high bush Honeysuckle). It's an invasive specie that seems to be everywhere nowadays. No, you're not going to get in trouble for planting it because it's been here in PA for so long now that they just accept it. I never had it on my property growing up but I do now thanks to the birds pooping out the seeds. It grows to a height of about 8-10 ft. and bushes out to about 12 ft. or so. It spreads by it's berries which it produces a lot of so it doesn't take a long time for it to make a thicket. It's great cover for deer and small game but that's about it. And it WILL take over a waste area or something that's not being bush hogged or mowed in a short time. It prefers open areas with plenty of sun so it won't creep into your woods much. It will grow well in moist areas but doesn't like to get it's feet wet like alder so I don't see it growing along creek banks or wetlands. Just something to consider...

BPS
Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Spike

red cedar trees, problem solved