Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Rice crispies

Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rice crispies

will deer eat rice crispies ? I have access to several damaged cases and that got me thinking
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Spike

NO. It's common knowledge that deer like Captain Crunch and Lucky Charms, but not Rice Crispys. LOL

Seriously though, I don't know. Besides, they don't have thumbs to pour the milk.
Sorry, I've been drinking barley pops and feeling a bit goofy

Only one way to find out. Set some out and see if the eat it. Ya never know.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Spike

I'd advice against it for a couple reasons. Deer shouldn't get fed much corn, oats, rices, wheats or other grains due to their high carbohydrate levels.

Two, ever try eating rice crispies without a lot of milk or water? They get very sticky and can cause some choking issues. Very few byproducts should get fed to deer. Distillers, wheat midds, soy hulls are all safe due to their low nsc levels but stay away from grains/high starch sources. It's why we tell people to feed forage or pellets during northern winter kill areas where people emergency feed the herds.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long?

lordy ! How long has this recession been going on?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Bad idea I think. They will get wet & soggy. Also, you will bring in mice, and then mice bring in coyotes and wolves. And deer can be picky as well with new items like this. Your better bet would be to learn to like them and save a bit on your grocery bill - if I were you, my kids would be eating a lot of rice crispies for a while!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll see more bears and coons then deer around them. Crap I would eat 'em.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
Bad idea I think. Also, you will bring in mice, and then mice bring in coyotes and wolves.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a while. You aren't serious are you?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

One year I was baiting for my son. Our area was recently logged, so the deer were not staying around. The bait stayed untouched by deer for days on end, and I started seeing more grouse, squirrels, and other small animals hanging around. When my son hunted, he saw a coyote and a bobcat (twice) go by the bait, but no deer. Clearly the predators were taking advantage of the draw that the bait had on small animals. On another occasion my son saw a bear (and no deer). So I am thinking that bait, if not eaten by deer, can work against you.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not too concerned with mice etc bringing in coyotes there are 247,000 chipmunks running around (at least that is how many there seems to be !)
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm able to get a lot of the old fashioned rolled oats and quick oats that have been dropped on the floor or have busted bags or minor damage and I have put them in plastic tube feeders and the Deer simply love them,especially the Fawns and younger Deer.I have gotten a few Raccoons in the feeder but they will get into just about anything any ways!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.