Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
How much do you spend on your food plots. >

How much do you spend on your food plots.

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How much do you spend on your food plots.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Spike

Default How much do you spend on your food plots.

Taking an informal poll, how much do you spent per acre and in total each year on your food plots?

I normally tell people to expect $50-$100/acre as you have fuel, seed costs and equipment costs.

Seeds like brassicas i tend to spend about $40/acre, perennial clover mix $60/acre but that will last 3 years or more. I spend around $40 for my annual restoration mix of berseem and radish. I spend around $45/ acre for succotash.

My all time best buy is kale/berseem clover mix where that can get out there for less than $30/acre
Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

gas and seed basically. I only plot a half acre because I hunt in heavily wooded areas and have minimal openings.

Considering I have free use of a large tractor, I would say it cost be about 75 bux to put in a food plot, assuming my time is free.

I wouldnt want to think about how much it would cost to rent one.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont ever figure mine up, I might cry.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably average $300 per acre, including fertilizer, lime, seed, tractor fuel and gly for spraying in Aug., maybe a little more.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Haha, it's expensive...

becoming a farmer. And if you have the time and space, you can become a heavily spent farmer, trying to be a hunter.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I just purchased 10lbs of Shotplot brassica mix for $42.00 w/shipping. Throw in some Milorganite when it goes on sale and I will have another $6. And then a bag of Urea at a cost of $15. As for gas I use a Polaris 850 to pull my Tufline disc so it is not much, maybe $5. I use the cheap 41% glyfosate from Walmart at a cost of $15. I may add some clover to the Shotplot for 2014. I plant about 2acres so all this seed will be enough for 2 years. All combined per year I may spend as much as $65.