Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

do you really need one?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Spike

I manage a 450 acre farm dedicated strickly for hunting here in central ky,

the food plots I put out are used to provide a good food source for wildlife that will last all year long. there are times of the year that the forest browse will be extremely thin and the deer will use the plots heavily and then there are times when they remain in the woods when the mast starts to fall

this keeps them coming back year after year, and we will harvest several decent bucks each year

one of the things I do to keep my deer population is protect the dominate does these are the old does that have been raised and have raised young here on the farm

the rules here in the hollow is shoot old bucks and young does

I have several deer that are easy for me to determine which buck they where sired by from the previous years harvest

the old does stay close, the big bucks travel heavily, and if you have the does locked into a good food source when the season comes in the bucks will find them

the bucks will travel the high ridges in the fall scenting for does in estres

deer trails are evidence that the deer are moving to food not that they will be using that food source when you can hunt, so a good food plot is extremely helpful

the bucks just like us men will travel to find that special lady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMTTX...EXbA4Ho_ZWmmfA
Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

In the last 10 years I've killed 6 deer over 160". I've never planted a food plot and I never will. I view them the same as corn piles they are for people who don't know how to hunt otherwise. Just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Spike

Lol. Ok Birddog. You're the man
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs
Just my opinion.
accepted as such
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not the man but I'm entitled to an opinion. I'm not an expert but I know a thing or two about big deer. I've killed as many big deer as most people have on this site and I'm not paying oufitters or planting expensive food plots. Food plots are just another fad on TV for people to buy into so they can get your money. I wonder if the Milo Hanson deer was raised on a food plot. You food plot guys are probably the same ones who buy the ozonics and scent lok clothes and all those fancy field sprays and everything. You don't need any of those gimmics to kill big deer if you know how to hunt them. That's my only point. You can make fun all you want but I can show you whats on my wall.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Spike

Birddog, I'm not going to respond with why I think you stated more than just your opinion... But I will say your tone was a bit suspect to me. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. No one brought up paying outfitters or "gimmicks." Not sure where any of that came from. You also seem to be misinformed regarding food plots. First of all, many plotters go to local feed mills to but their seed, fertilizer, etc. No one is required to buy any commercial products when planting. Secondly, many food plotters do not hunt over the fields they plant. Many treat their plots just like a field and hunt 50-200 yards in. Third, take a look at a two to five acre rape field in December some time. I guarantee you it is outdrawing any agricultural fields in the area. This may not be especially true in the south. I'm not sure. I could keep going with the misinformation and implications in your posts, but I'll wrap it up by explaining that many land owners plant food plots not so much to hunt over, as you implied, but to provide helpful nutrients - especially during stress periods.

Not sure why you came on a food plot thread and decided to blast people that plant them. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but that's your deal, not mine. However, it would be great if at least stated informed "opinions" in the future.

Last edited by North22; 10-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

The question was do you need them. I'm the only person who has responded that said no so that makes me the outsider I really don't care. You food plot guys act like raising big deer is a recent phenomenon. Food plots are recent fad and there have been many many big bucks killed before this fad started. Now you can agree or disagree with that but that's a fact. I stand beside the opinion that you don't need food plots to kill a big deer or raise them for that matter. You don't need trophy rocks or comere deer or any of that crap. I have never killed a big deer in a feed field for that matter. I always catch the big boys in transition areas or bedding areas looking for does not on food plots. Another fact is food plotting is expensive and most guys don't have the money or the equipment to do it. You said most people don't hunt over their food plots then tell me why the guy was talking about a "kill plot" earlier what's that? I don't have a chip on my shoulder or anything like that I just have an opinion and my opinion is backed up by the deer hanging on my wall. Those are the only facts I need partner. Good hunting to you over your fancy food plots.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I plant food plots because I just enjoy it. There are ag fields around me but I'm the only one who plants corn...and let it stand until next spring. I have smaller kill type plots but I DO NOT buy food plot seed. I get feed mill seed for super cheap and I don't buy any fertilizer. Main thing I buy is lime. My woods are heavy pines so my soil is very acidic but once you get the ph right it won't change very much.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Spike

Exactly, Iron Archer. I have zero issues with a guy having an opinion - even if that opinion is different than mine. But I take great issue with someone spreading misinformation about things I, and others, do. He kept going on and on about the expenses and such. As you stated, it's not very expensive through a local co-op. This year I got roundup ready corn from NWTF for ten bucks a bag. I could not believe the price. And it came up great! I just use a tiller I pull behind my lawn tractor, and I plant all of my seeds by hand. I even use my garden tiller. It's definitely a lot of work. But I enjoy it, as you said. In fact, I love doing it. But expensive, it's not. I plant about 3 acres a year and might spend a grand total of $75 tops. When you consider the nutritional benefits that's a heck of a bargain. Also, by the time a guy buys a license, gas, clothes, bow, arrows, cameras if you use them, and the list goes on for some - $75 to know I am giving my deer a much better chance to get through winter without stress is a drop in the pan. I've been fortunate in regards to where my career has taken me, but I'm also as cheap as a summer day is long . I'm not spending all my money on fancy schemes and gimmicks like that other guy implied.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Next time you look for seed check the people that sell seed to farmers, I picked some up that was in a damaged bag for thirty bucks! Seed was a year old and germination was perfect! I use a lawn tractor with a sleeve hitch on the back with a one or two row planter. Works great for me and its fun...if I could only get my rows straight I would be pumped lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.