Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

do you really need one?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iron Archer
if I could only get my rows straight I would be pumped lol!
Only the doe seem to hit straight rows over crooked ones.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Spike

Iron archer, thanks for the tip. I will look into that for sure. Here's another tip - If you are a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation (and a lot of other conservation groups) you can get round up ready corn and soy beans for $10 a bag. A bag plants 2 1/2 acres. These normally go for at least $200. As I said earlier, I got corn this year. It turned out awesome. About 9 feet tall and huge cobs. Trying soy next year also. My biggest plot is only an acre so they may destroy it in no time, but for ten bucks I figure I'll just replant in the fall if that happens.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

North22,

I talked to some NTWF members but they couldn't tell me what type of seeds they were gonna get and cant stand waiting till the last minute to get seed.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Spike

I didn't realize that. This past spring was the first time I ever went through them, so I have to admit I don't know much about how it works. I'm sure it's all left over seed and probably a year old, so what you're saying makes sense.

Btw, I also don't think deer care if your rows are straight! Lol
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Basically the seed is left over from the previous year from the big seed companies... there for the turkey guy told me he doesn't know what he will get. The truck shows up and drops the seed...could be all soybeans, could be milo or whatever the case may be.
I planted corn seed from 2011 this year, I realized if the bags are stored in a cool dry place the germination will be fine. The 2011 seed outperformed the 2012 seed. The straight rows all come back to my OCD habit. If you look in out pantry you will find all canned goods are in perfect alignment and facing forward...yes I know it is strange but hey, I gotta be me!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Spike

http://mathewsinc.com/595138/a-man-and-his-rake/

this is a nice little article!!!

Jay writes for deer and deer hunting and this was in the mathews addition.