Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Trouble identifying predator

Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Spike

Default Trouble identifying predator

Hi all, I live in a rural area and I'm fairly accustomed to having wildlife in an around my yard, but the past couple of years I've found some rabbit remains that are fairly disturbing.

Last summer I found what was left of a rabbit in my garden. It had been pretty badly mauled but was largely left intact. There pieces of it scattered throughout my yard, but it was largely intact.

Now yesterday, I found what I THINK is a rabbit, but all that was left was a single leg and what I can only describe as guts. Have any of you more experienced hunters seen anything like this? What type of predator am I dealing with?

Btw, I live in south central PA near the Maryland border. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Spike

Unfortunately its pretty tough to identify what youre dealing with based on that info. It would be easy to say coyote, but i would think you would have heard some, and i cant see a yote leaving behind these remains. Otherwise youre looking at any number of predators. But, If i had to guess...

My best guess would be feral cat. They are stealthy, they dont mind being near houses, and they are rabbit killing machines. The fact that some remains were left behind makes me think it was a smaller predator. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chupacabra!

But really, probably a feral cat if I had to guess.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Spike

I'd say coyote or possibly feral dog.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Were these remains found near a tree? Could have been a Eagle or Hawk. Otherwise I would go with cat.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dampland
Were these remains found near a tree? Could have been a Eagle or Hawk. Otherwise I would go with cat.
Only thing is I wouldnt expect a cat to ingest so much of the rabbit
Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Prob a fox
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote,Fox,Bobcat.....the list goes on and on!Put out a trail camera and You'll know for sure what's roaming around and killing the Rabbits.Usually with a Wild Predator they will kill their prey and haul it away to be eaten in a safe secluded area away from People,a Cat or Dog will not so as much...and they may not eat it all either?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

CAT! !

No fox, yote or ariel predator is going to scatter remains about the yard, nor stop to feed there........yet leave guts & a leg.

Only a feral cat fits here. A feral dog would have left nothing, but a large & hungry feral cat can eat the majority of a rabbit kill. Cat will then go off someplace to sleep & not need another kill for a couple days.

You may also find the head someplace about the yard.