Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Evolved Harvest 'ShotPlot' Question

Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Spike

Default Evolved Harvest 'ShotPlot' Question

Hi all,
Evolved Harvest's "ShotPlot" brassica blend claims maturity in 45 days, not the 60-90 days necessary as advertised with others.

So which is right? Has anyone planted "ShotPlot" and had good luck with only 45 days of growth? Will planting it with 70+ days until frost cause it to mature too early and have the turnips rot - or will the extra days allow for more growth? I live in NW Wisconsin, with a frost date of roughly Oct. 1.

Lots of questions - but I've never planted the ShotPlot before.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rape,brassicas and I think they've added Raddishes to their blend grows fairly quickly and if there's turnips in there or You add them into the blend I think You will be alright....the turnips will continue to grow and will be fine until much Colder weather before they will rot?

If You have extra days before Hunting Season for the Shot Plot to grow You'll be fine,the plants will do just fine if the Deer don't browse them down to nothing and the turnips and Raddishes will give the Deer something to last longer into the colder weather.We usually add turnips,Raddishes or sugar beets into the Shot Plot to give the Deer more selection and to last longer!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Spike

Thanks much!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crawfonj.....I just checked our local feed/ lumber store and it's a new Throw n Grow (same company) that has the Raddishes added to their blend now,still the same info would apply or You could simply add Raddishes to the Shot Plot!I use it every year and add different seeds to it depending on what I want to use to give the Deer a little extra and I've also added foraging oats or wheat too.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

I've used ShotPlot before and been successful with it. However I would getting the seed in the ground within the next 2 weeks, to give them a fair chance to grow before the October frosts come. Hopefully we get some rain!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Spike

Many factors affect plant maturation, Growing degree days, Soil pH, Soil moisture, soil temperature, seed germination rate , variety of brassica etc etc. Use of seed growth promoters and plant foods can reduce maturity of any plant by 2-3 weeks.