Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weed Killer

Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, we have sprayed roundup on kura clover at work since 2006 with no appreciable loss. There is also alfalfa and red clover in the fields, and they survive as well. It slows the clover for about 2 weeks, and you will ever know it was sprayed 1 month later. It also will not kill tough broadleaf weeds like dandelions, but seeding weeds and grasses will go down fast. I would only try it on a well established (2 yrs old +) perennial clover field in spring that is not under stress.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Recent Recession

I noticed a lot of homeowners have saved money on their home lawns by not using any weed killers.
Now the lawns in three to five years, that use to have grass, are now mostly filled with weeds. I had a neighbor that had such an immaculate lawn, he was called Mr. Lawn.
Moved some three years ago and his former lawn is now mostly weeds.

A lot of things just don't beat weeds. It's so bad I just call the landscapers with their lawn tractors, the weed cutters.

If you see weeds, place a bet on the weeds.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sethoxydim (Poast) + crop oil + ammonium sulfate. Mix all 3 together and apply at a rate of approximately 2 pt. / acre. Done this. Works great. Poast will kill the grasses but not broad leaf plants. The crop oil and ammonium sulfate help the Poast "stick" to the weeds.

If your crop has been invaded by broad leaf stuff, one method I have heard of but not tried is to apply a very light dose of Round-Up ..... 40% stuff at about 1 pt./acre. Supposed to stun the clover but not wipe it out. But I would conduct a test area before spraying the entire field !
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Spike

I disagree firmly with valentine. If weeds couldn't be beat we wouldn't have an agricultural industry anywhere in the world. It's actually not that hard or expensive to kill off weeds in a food plot or a lawn.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Spike

Roundup kills any weeds and plants growing. Select, poast plus and other grass killers will kill grasses but not any legumes or broadleaves. There isn't anything that kills grasses and broadleaves yet leaves your legumes. There are products like brox, buctril etc that could be used on legumes to kill broadleaves if timing is perfect....during fall dormancy, early spring before legume growth but thats risky for the average person.

Clipping plots before weeds throw a seed head is the best long term solution to weed control.

Note: a healthy soil will have less weeds. Have proper pH and using the right fertilizers for rapid growth will help. Also using cover crops or annual clovers like berseem, arrowleaf or crimson clovers will help reduce weed growth. Radishes, rape and turnips also act as natural weed inhibitors.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Yield puts stuff out for that. Go to a feed store to get it.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Spike

You should only use round up on clover plots already established over a year at a lower rate.You take a chance of making the weeds round up resistant tho. Clethodim with crop oil will kill grass and not harm clover. Butyrac 200 is good for killing broad leafs in clover and not harm the clover.I have used both cleth and buty for years with no problem. Do not mix the 2. Spray cleth first then 1 week later spray buty if needed.

Last edited by Hoyt63; 09-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Spike

Default roundup

Roundup is a NON SELECTIVE, herbicide. It will kill anything when applied at the recommended rate. Roundup doesn't work as well on quack grass and like any type of herbicide it will not work well on anything that has gone to a seedhead. Herbicides also don't work as well on anything understress or when plants are dormant.

To kill grasses in clovers and legumes, use poast, select, arrow and other grass herbicides. Consult with an agronomist for more detailed answers when in doubt.

I helped bring generic roundup into the United states years back and am very very fluent in roundup/generic roundup use and other chemical questions.

There are products like buctril, brox and other products that i do use when the legumes are dormant, late fall or early spring during early growth but for the novice applicator, i wouldn't recommend rolling the dice with them , unless your use to working with chemicals and have the knowlege on timing your application.