HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   What size tractor do I need? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/380028-what-size-tractor-do-i-need.html)

Wrighmb 03-18-2013 07:21 PM

What size tractor do I need?

I have 90 acres but plan on doing about 8 acres in food plots five acres in corn and 15-20 acres in millet or sorghum. Will flood the corn and millet for ducks. The land is clay in Alabama. Want to do the disk and planting work over weekends and maybe a few weekdays. Trying to figure out what size tractor I need to pull a 6 or 7 ft disc or tiller, maybe or 2 or 4 row planter, cultipacker and 6 foot bush hog.

Last year we paid a farmer to do it but we would really like to start doing it ourself. Looking for a used tractor but really have not set a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sconnyhunter 03-18-2013 07:54 PM

Well depending on how much experience you have driving a tractor. Something in the medium duty range should be about right. Something in a 50-90 hp rating. Not big, but big enough, and affordable.

Wrighmb 03-18-2013 08:08 PM

No experience driving a tractor or farming at all. Planted some small food plots last year with four wheeler disc, spreader and cultipacker.

gregrn43 03-18-2013 08:12 PM

I plant about 6 or 7 acres every year in food plots and do it with a 30hp John Deere with front end assist. It does a fine job just takes a bit longer. Its paid for so I dont see myself buying a new one anytime soon

GTOHunter 03-24-2013 09:36 AM

Most of the smaller Compact Tractors will do a fine job especially if You get one that can be put into 4-Wheel Drive,a 35-50 HP Tractor can get into smaller areas and be a heck of a Work Horse,front end loader attachments are nice also!

I've been looking at the Kioti Tractors and Mahindra Tractors,most are from around $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 range and higher if You get a bigger HP engine or an Hydrostatic Transmission compared to a manual Trans!

craig 04-17-2013 09:24 AM

8 acres does not need a beast of a tractor by any means.

35hp is really plenty, and if you'd like to save time to the max go up to 50. Beyond that is a waste of money & will just have a bigger turning ratio that you don't need.

Many guys use even smaller, but for a planting of 8 acres I'd want 30 as minimum.

And a 6-7' disk should be easy to get used if you check around at some ag sites.

A chisel plow for better drainage is a good idea as is a drag for a much smoother & even seed bed, or to just lightly cover over the seed of a clover plot if you were to decide to expand what you plant for.

RackLuster 04-24-2013 08:23 AM

I second the 30hp mfwd john deere w/ loader. light enough to haul with a half ton truck. also, newer models have hydro which is a must for me. the one thing I hated about my '82 jd 950 was the gears. love the hydro of my new tractor. you really don't need to go more than 30-35 hp.

the key is following the right steps (ex. don't try to disc over knee high weeds.)

RackLuster 04-24-2013 08:24 AM

but...I don't think a 30hp would pull a 7' disc very well.

Savage Sniper 04-24-2013 12:39 PM

if i were you, i get a 40 hp diesel kabota.