Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

feeder batteries

Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default feeder batteries

Hi Guys. Been running a few of the typical spin feeders and have started to encounter dead batteries (6V). not a big deal now mostly due to cheap battery purchases. Next fall I will need to place a few feeders out in locations that I can't monitor for 5-6 weeks. I cannot afford failure and really would rather not use the solar stuff. Had some bad encounters with trying to utilize solar chargers in heavy woods. Have any of you guys ever tried wiring your batteries in parallel? There is room in the motor box for two 6V batteries and I was thinking of clipping them together for the long run. Anyone have any luck with this?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

My feeders use 6 volt lantern batteries. US made batteries last 5-6 months in my feeders. The cheap Chinese batteries last 3-6 weeks.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

I use a good rechargable battery and mine last 6 to 8 months with it going off
twice a day for 10 seconds at a time. Agood one only cost around $12
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Spike

I have found the Duracell and Energizer 6Vs to last well from October thru January of me in AL. Even the AA batt that runns the clock hangs in there. I see you are in VA, so the weather may be a factor in your battery life. Is there a Battery Store in your area? We needed something from one recently and it is amazing what they have. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Spike

Last I checked Fall feeding in VA was illegal unless somethings changed
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowhunterx
Last I checked Fall feeding in VA was illegal unless somethings changed
Just cuz his location says VA doesn't mean he will be baiting there...he never said he was baiting in VA...just saying...

Also maybe your motor is going out and draining more power than normal? I had one when I was in TX and it lasted a long time on 2X's daily.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Spike

That's true, I am making an assumption. Given many of his previous posts, where is it that you would conclude buckwild primarly hunts?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use rechargeable batteries and in my moultrie feeders they will last close to a year before I have to change them. In other feeders they last 6-8 months.