HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Cohabitation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/37876-cohabitation.html)

Dan O. 09-20-2003 07:08 PM

Cohabitation

I' ve been suffering from a lack of deer sightings on the property this year. Normally there are at least 2 does with fawns and one has always resided in the front field. I' ve been finding deer sign all year and I' ve been finding some very large tracks, which I assume are from a good sized buck. If a dominant buck moves onto your property for the growing season do the does tend to move to other locations?

Dan O.

farm hunter 09-20-2003 09:53 PM

RE: Cohabitation

Dan - I' ve found its usually the other way around - If an Alpha Doe sets up shop - Rarley will you see much of any older bucks that summer. Usually - Dominant does will claim the best habitat.

With the wet spring and coolish summer - areas that are normally not " top notch" are MUCH better this year - causing does to be a little less visible. I' m definitely seeing less deer overall this year (out feeding in the feilds) because - still there is lush growth in the cover. Just now we are starting to see more deer out in the open fields at dusk.

Phade 09-24-2003 11:23 AM

My little area of property is absolutely getting hammered in the morning time. My photohunter pics have revealed an even doe to buck ratio with more pics of the bucks on a 2 to 1 average. But come past midday, and 0 activity. none. notta. nothing at all. Granted Im in broken woodlots/farmers field terrain, so they may move to another lot, but Im in amzement of the lack of actvity. Its all 4am to 9am with one or two does moving through before noon. Im out of ideas for the afternoon hunts.

farm hunter 09-24-2003 09:02 PM

Phade - it' ll all change in about 4-5 weeks when the pre-rut/search phase kicks in (assumuming - Mid Nov peak rut)

Until then - you need to fing those evening food sources, and how the deer are getting there.

Phade 09-25-2003 02:42 PM

FH-Im in upstate NY, I dont know why my location hasnt changed, Ive done it twice now.

It' s amazing, They just dissappear, like a magic act. There is plent yof food sources, and the acorns have started falling, but no sign in the evening. I do not see the doe bedding areas, but have found a single bedding spot most likely a buck. Actually the spot is right next to a little patch of left over biologic seed. But it is the only one. I hope the deer dont abandon ship some pre rut/ rut.

I was assuming that they had not yet begun their seasonal changes yet, and the same possibility of what Dan O. said about a mature buck being there.