Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

percentage of food plots for land?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default percentage of food plots for land?

I have right at 1000 acres that we use and an additional 300 in the front that just got thinned so its out of commission for a while.what is the correct percentage of pood plot coverage to start seeing a noticeble difference in deer population and size.Were in a pretty decent area but its all planted pines with a few big cypress heads in between.I believe i have squeezed the last plot in that i can get in there without having to get bulldozers and other heavy equipment.I got right at 13 acres of food plots stretched out all over in 16 plots.I have read you need 1.5 percent and some people say you need 5 percent to see a difference.Am i wasting my time here and maybe i need to get another lease thats more plot friendly?theres no ag within 30 miles of this lease.any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends on your deer density, but it was around here with no ag in 30 miles of you, I'd be shooting for a minimum of 5%. Something like 1/3 in perennial plots like clover/chicory. 1/3 in warm season annuals like soybeans or cowpeas. 1/3 in winter annuals like brassicas and cereal grains.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's great to be a farmer

But in the end it's good to remember if you're a farmer who owns the land or just a tenant farmer. The work of a tenant farmer could be gone tomorrow or at the end of the lease.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Spike

i agree with no ag land around the more food plots the better to hold and attract deer, if at all possible i would start this spring by puttin in a big plot of beans toward center of property, as beans are a long season food plot, if managed right they last 8-11 months providing food, mix in some clover and other plants around in smaller plots and this will help alot.