Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What can I mix with seed?

Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Default What can I mix with seed?

I planted a small area with some Bio-Logic maximum a few weeks ago. I use a small hand crank seeder to spread the seed. The trouble I had is that even on the smallest setting it spread to much seed. My small bag that was too cover a 1/4 acre only covered less than 1/2 the that area.[:' (] What can I mix with the seed when I spread it to make it go further? I was thinking about mixing 1 part seed to 2 parts 10-10-10 fertalizer. Any one see a problum with this? Is there a better way?

The area that got the seed is growing great.

Thaks for your help.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What can I mix with seed?

Sawdust has worked well for me in the past. I' ve tried sand before but it seemed to go straight to the bottom while the seed went to the top due to the weight difference between the two. Who knows, maybe someone will have a better idea.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just walk twice as fast.

But any inert " pellet" the size of the seed can be mixed in if you' d rather. If the fertilizer is similar in size to the seed, then its a good chioce. DO NOT mix in a cheap grass seed - it may take over the plot in the end.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:16 AM

Walk faster like farm hunter suggested.

Also, you may be able to control the opening on the crank seeded more by one or two methods. Instead of using the preset settings on the crank seeder, hold the opening just barely open with one hand as you spread the seed. I can do this on my crank seeder so I assume you should be able to do this on yours as well.

The other method is by physically placing something over the opening inside of the seeder to reduce the amount of seed that will fall into the opening. That is a real pain but can be done.

Goodluck.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:38 AM

I used a little piece of wire to keep the opening from opening all the way. When I squeeze the trigger only so much can come out because the hole is much smaller.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:05 PM

Where' s the Duct tape Cover the hole partially, If you cover too much or not enough, tear it off and redo. I have a little hand spreader and the adjustment leaves something to be desired, but Duct tape came to the rescue.
Russ
Old 09-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just walk twice as fast.
Funny thing is, that' s exactly what I do Sawdust is a very good idea - i might have to try that next time.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I haven' t used this method myself, but I' ve heard of others who mix their seed with fertilizer. Seems to work well for them. I would think you would need to be careful that your seed was mixed in well so as to not sew it disproportionately.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks Guy' s,

I tryed walking faster, but at the rate is was spreading I would have had to run. Trust me I' m not the running type. I like the sawdust idea, seen I work in a millwork company I have accsess to truck loads of sawdust.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to adjust the opening, but if it dosn' t work use something of similar size, if it is clover try coarse ground grits.

Quick Reply: What can I mix with seed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.