Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fertilizing Food Plots

Old 09-16-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Fertilizing Food Plots

We have all types of Clover planted with Oats, Rape and Winter Wheat. I was thinking about fertilizing the plots now...everything is breaking the ground well. But what I am not sure about is....I heard that after you fertilize it makes your plots bitter for a certain amount of time before it turns sweet. How long does it take to turn sweet. Also, what is the best type of fertilizer and how much should be thrown.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Fertilizing Food Plots

Unless a deer it wont matter...animals have very different taste ability from one another and from people...its very technical but has to do with enzymes in saliva and the taste buds themselves. Example is goats who can and do eat sericea lespedeza in the norhern states where cattle wont touch it...its a saliva issue and enzyme related.

Fertlize away and dont get all hung up on it.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

If the plot has not been fertilized in a while and you expect good rainfall for the next few weeks use a 0-20-20 at about 150 to 200lbs per acre. Once the clover is established it should provide all the nitrogen the oats, rape, and wheat will need. You really should have a soil test done prior to fertilizing to determine exactly what you need.

I think the lime/pH level has more to do with a plot being sweet or bitter than does fertilizer.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Do soil samples... Try to stay away from the salt based fertilizers.