Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Is it the right mix?

Old 09-14-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Is it the right mix?

I just planted my food plots last weekend with wheat, rye, austrian winter peas, turnips, and I also through in a little alfalfa that my grandpa had laying in the barn.I was just wondering if this mixture is ok, or is it just too much added all together? What should I do different if anything?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Is it the right mix?

I bet it works fine...most of the most successful food plots are simple not some terribly complex thing...
Old 09-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Austrian peas makes me think you are in the south.

Sure its a good mix. If the planting is less than 2 acres, the peas will probably be gone 3-4 weeks after emergence. The Wheat & Rye is redundant - personally I prefer the rye - but all areas differ.

Good luck this season.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

The alflafa makes me think otherwise. The UCO prefix may be University of Colorado.
I like a mixture in my plots also, maybe a few oats thrown in for good measure.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

You really need to decide if your plot is going to be perennial or annual. If you have perennials and plant turnips the deer will dig the area up. Kinda late for turnips in the north... They' ll get tasty but not too big..
Old 09-15-2003, 08:48 AM

I just finished planting my food plot and it was about 1 acre. I used 20 lbs. rye , 15 lbs. wheat , 15 lbs. oats , 3 lbs crimson clover and 3 lbs. white clover. I also planted 1 lb. of purple top turnips in the same area but not in with the other seeds. I didn' t want the deer to tear up my clover.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the advice fellas. I am from the South, in Oklahoma. I just threw in the alfalfa just because it was convenient and it was there. It is about a 4 acre and a 1 acre plot. Oh, by the way, UCO stands for University of Central Oklahoma. Thanks again guys.