HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Fruit trees (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/37401-fruit-trees.html)

Smitty_nc1 09-14-2003 08:53 AM

Fruit trees

I' m thinking about planting some trees around my hunting lease and I' m not sure what to plant and when. I was thinking about crabapple, pear, or maybe a cherry tree. Anyone have some suggestions.

Dan O. 09-14-2003 09:28 AM

RE: Fruit trees

Crabapples, apples, pears, persimmons and oaks will all act as food sources. Don' t forget mulberries for early year feeding.

Dan O.

UCObaseball 09-14-2003 06:37 PM

I have a place with persimmon trees, when the first frost comes deer treat them like candy and devour them. Can' t go wrong with a persimmon tree, I also pick apples from my grandmas apple tree and feed them to deer, another favorite of deer in my area.

Russ otten 09-14-2003 06:53 PM

Here in North Miss. the deer are already braking lower limbs on the Persimmons to get to them. And we still have at least another month for our first frost. (Or maybe they know something I don' t.) The raccoons are also feeding on them. I' ' ve never known them to eat them this early as sour as they are. The deer are also keeping my four Clover plots nipped down to about 3-4 inches. The turkeys are helping them, too.
Russ

lunchbucket 09-15-2003 07:50 AM

Looks like a bad winter Russ...

bearlot 09-15-2003 08:40 AM

I am in central Alabama and I have a couple of pear trees on my lease and the deer are just tearing them up. Was thinking about planting a few more pear trees myself.

greg-dude 09-17-2003 11:32 AM

I know little about fruit trees, but what about crabapples and pears. Am I wrong in saying that these two species are the most likely species to bear fruits every year over other fruit trees? My farm deep hollows are very suceptible to late spring frost. I would be afraid to plant most apple tree varities.

UCObaseball 09-17-2003 05:11 PM

We have several crabapple trees here in the central part of Oklahoma, and I never really see deer just tear them up the way people say they do. I can' t recall how many times I have found the ground covered with them under a tree where deer are plentiful but with no deer sign around them. Maybe it is just the because of the location.

Dan O. 09-18-2003 07:42 PM

greg-dude; it depends on the variety that you plant but they should give at least some crop every year unless they get frosted.

Dan O.

farm hunter 09-18-2003 07:54 PM

In Central NY - I cannot remember very many Mays without at least one or two really hard frosts. We still get apples quite regular - I' m sure Dan O. can attest that a frost during the spring bloom does not always mean a poor apple crop. Personally I think Wet and Windy conditions at peak bloom ruin more apple crops than frost in my area.