Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sweet Spot by Sucraseed?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sweet Spot by Sucraseed?

Has anyone here ever used this seed and how well did it work compared to other blends? For those not familiar with it, it's real selling point is a rye grass they developed that is high in sugar. It was developed for cattle farmers and the had increases in size and milk production, but they couldn't keep the deer off of it. It can be grown in less that ideal conditions, such as woodland food plots which is what we have on our property. I'll try to post some results once I get it in the ground and it gets established.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

I did a side by side comparison with their pasture sweetener (the same hsg in sweet spot), oats, wheat, and winter rye.

Long story short, I was very impressed. It did act as annual in NC, but I swear the deer were eating the dead grass this summer like cows eat hay. Never seen that before!

Here's a link to the full test.

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/...gh+sugar+grass.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've been reading some reviews and I'll have to say I'm excited about trying it. I'm not a food plot hunter at all. I've never killed a deer in one. I tend to hunt close to where the deer live and that's in the thickets. But I've got a couple of small open areas around 2 stands that only something like this sweet spot would grow. I think that it could really draw the deer into the stand location instead of just passing thru. I see a ton of deer and especially bucks from these stands already, so I think this could really be the ticket to get the does to come and feed.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have had good luck with the sweet spot as well. The biggest buck seen on my property was in the sweet spot last fall. The deer really kept the grass mowed short on the plot, and the chickory especially seem to be a treat for the deer up by my place.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
I did a side by side comparison with their pasture sweetener (the same hsg in sweet spot), oats, wheat, and winter rye.

Long story short, I was very impressed. It did act as annual in NC, but I swear the deer were eating the dead grass this summer like cows eat hay. Never seen that before!

Here's a link to the full test.

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/...gh+sugar+grass.
That's as good of a field test & review as I have ever seen. Really impressive. It's something I might try to do myself. I'm trying to get my cousin to plant some on the gas line where the kids hunt, but he's hell bent against "rye grass". Hopefully I will down a good buck on it this year and it will peak his interest. And thank you for reply. It was really helpful.