Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tractor size.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

A small tractor is a lot stouter than you think! I have a 20hp kabota that takes care of all my plots...bush hoggin, disking. It takes a little longer to cut because of width but not lack of power. I just sold an old 12hp kabota, real tractor, that fit anywhere a 4wheeler would.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by snedd162
hey guys. i am not new to food plots but i am new to tractors so here is my dilemma. there is a field on my property hidden way back in the woods that is perfect for a nice kill plot. no more than 1/2 acre in size. only problem is it would be nearly impossible to get to with any decent size tractor. now this field hasn't been plowed or maintained in 20 years. my thought is to get a small sears suburban 12hp tractor that i know i can get in there with and start maintaining this field. i just don't know if it will have the power needed to not only mow the overgrown weeds and plow roughly a half acre of pretty hard soil. what do you guys think? will a 12hp sears suburban be enough?

thanks,
matt
hello mat I dont think the guys on here know what a suburban is its plenty of tractor you can find plows and harrows for them I have a couple of alis chalmers A 716 and 916 and they work just fine I have a single plow that I use first and then I hook up the rototiller to the back and till I have put in a few food plots it just takes time
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Get a 30HP tractor or use ATV implements..... tractors have tons of uses that im sure once you have it you'll wonder how you did it without it.... Look for like an older John deere 955 they are cheap and will do what your needing.
I wouldn't want to plow land with a 12hp lawn mower at 3 feet across at a time.

Spray everything will round up first as stated, once dead mow it off then disk or till it under....
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Spray it then burn it and it will be much easier to work that ground . Then use a harrow or small drag to break up the top inch of soil and let the weeds start to grow again then nuke them again.Wait a week or so and now drag lightly and plant.This is if you uses the small tractor.You will also need to ad lime ASAP as the lime needs time to help the soil.Buy pelletized lime for 2.50 a bag and put down like 20 bags.If you can take a soil sample ,but i know you will need lots of lime..
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I've done what you are talking about.

First I spray, then go in with chain saw & cut down all saplings. FLAG all such stumps if you are going to use a small yard tractor.

I used a 26hp. all terrain John Deere yard tractor with only a 48" deck, rather than the 54-60" normal for this size tractor. That way it has more power to cut up weeds ect.

After going over it x2 with the mower, I switched to a 42" rototiller I bought for this tractor. I've done 2 acre plantings with this set up with very good results.

Does a good job, slow going the first time you do the plot I know, but does do a good job.

I rather doubt I'd care to try to do this sort of thing with a mower of only 1/2 the power however.