Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PHfertilizer

Old 09-07-2003, 08:48 PM

Default PHfertilizer

I want to try the new Biologic PHfertilizer, which is 10-10-10 fertilizer with lime mixed in specially designed for food plots. My question is , at the local feed store they have a 12-12-12 blend with also 12 on lime also, it is about the same price for a bag 10 lbs heavier than the Biologic, do you think it will do the same, better, or worse? It would be nice if was the same because it is right here and I can get it in the plot sooner. I am planting full draw biologic, and clover plus in a new plot that I just cleared in heavy timber, the plot is about an acre and I havent had time for a soil sample, but am planning on putting about 1000 lbs of the fertilizer/lime mix on it. Help me here, Im running out of time
Old 09-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PHfertilizer

I' m not familiar with the Biologic fertilizer but if you use 1000 pounds of 10-10-10 per acre you' re putting out 700 to 800 pounds too much. Without a soil sample it' s really hard to know how much you need. Depending on the current pH level you could need anywhere from a couple hundred pounds to 3 tons of lime per acre. Unless the soil has no nutrients at all you should only need around 200lbs of fertilzer. My suggestion would be to take a soil sample. This will tell you exactly how much lime, nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium will be needed for the type of seeds you' re going to plant. The soil sample should be under $10 and will give you all the information you need to do the plot the right way. It' ll also save you a lot of time, work, and money in the long run.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 AM

if i am correct the fast acting lime that they use is short lived and needs to be reapplied every couple of months. get the soil test and go with ag lime.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Soil sample, soil sample, soil sample..... Follow the directions.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:43 AM

Everwants a quick fix...but guys that is not the answer....get a soil test and apply the right amont of lime for your situation.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:14 PM

Well after this post, I only had about two days to get this plot in, so I went out on a limb. Yes I know that the soil test is the right way but there wasnt time, sooo, I just put 1200 lbs of pelletized lime and 300 lbs of 10-10-10 and planted it right before a good rain. Well it looks great and is about 3 inches tall after only two weeks in the ground. This winter Ill get some soil samples and lime and fertilize properly in early spring but for now Im very satisfied, the deer are already hitting it
Old 09-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Angus 74; what type of trees were growing on the land before you cut them down? Was there a large amount of leaf litter on the ground?

Dan O.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:34 PM

Its on a large oak ridge and I removed the leaf litter with a tractor blade.