Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
what do you use to make & manage plots? >

what do you use to make & manage plots?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what do you use to make & manage plots?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default what do you use to make & manage plots?

In terms of creating and managing your food plots, what ATV/UTV/Tractor/Lawn Mower/Horse/Mule/etc are you using to create your honey holes?

I've made some small plots by hand and I am working on fixing up a Yamaha Timberwolf 250cc 2x4. I was thinking of using this ATV to make a slightly better plot in the future. I know 2x4 is not exactly ideal but these bikes have a fair amount of torque and having 13.50 Width tires on the rear helps
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

A four wheeler can be used to make game plots if you have a small disk. However, no four wheeler is as good as even a small tractor.

i own several tractors, mostly old ones. Also have a couple seed drills and a pasture drill. At one place our plots are put in using a small tractor and disk. The seed there is hand broadcast. Bought this little 18 horsepower tractor in 2003 for $3,000. It came with a new 4' brush hog.

Last edited by falcon; 07-09-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

You'd be much happier with a 50 yr old tractor than a new atv.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
I agree completly
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
That much is a given. I imagine I'll upgrade somewhere down the line. I'm just curious to see/hear what everyone uses. So, let's hear it yall. What are you using?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I am a farmer so I lucky enough to have several tractors, but the two I use most on food plots are a kubota m6040 and a old ford 3000. Both of those are small enough for a pickup to drag wherever I need to take them.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Spike

I just bought a brand new kubota
3200. I has already done more than I expected. I got a bush hog and front loader with it.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use my polaris sportsman 700, then used an '82 john deere 950 (27hp). Just upgraded to a new john deere 3032e (32hp) with a grapple (incredibly useful) and hydro. love the 3032 but miss the ag tires on the 950. just finished clearing and planting 4 acres that have never been planted before. a lot of work!

love those ford 3000's. perfect tractor for food plots.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Spike

I have found food plots should be two to five acres and should have some trees; oak, chestnut, beech, some grasses plus grains; oats, wheat, clover and maybe some feed stations. This should cover deer, turkey and maybe dove. This being said a tractor is the only way to go. Deciding on what brand to buy is up to you after you do the research and maybe drive one. The implements you buy for it should depend on your use of them but is only limited to how much you want to invest. I would suggest if you decide to buy a tractor get one a little bigger than you think you really need. Tractors have many uses besides food plots and if you buy a smaller one and then find out you need a bigger one you will take a big lose in upgrading.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Spike

Tractors are the way to go if you can afford one. If you can't, see if a local landowner or farmer would allow you to swap some labor time on his property with him coming over to disc and seed your food plot. This is a WIN WIN for everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.