Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Ferns

Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Banned

I would do another soil sample. Ferns won't grow if the ph is high enough. We have the same problem here in Eastern NC with ferns. If ph is right, no ferns.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Spike

I don’t know much about ferns but I know if you harm the rhizome of the plant it will die.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

Default ferns

Originally Posted by gm4511
I would do another soil sample. Ferns won't grow if the ph is high enough. We have the same problem here in Eastern NC with ferns. If ph is right, no ferns.
Agree. No ferns if ph is right. We are in eastern NC and had the same problem. Once we got ph right, ferns went away. Now, if a newbie in the lease plants a foodplot and is getting ferns, we know he didn't lime enough.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

I admit that I did only one soil sample, taken from only one spot and only the top 2 inches. My main focus from spring of 2012 planting was at another location in hardwoods, which did great till the fall leaves fell and covered it all, but that is another story.

In spring of 2013 I will do a proper soil test at this Fern hill location. I will take at least 5 samples, place them in pail, stir, and take a small sample of that mix to submit. Getting a better average.

Quick sub question. Since I am dealing with a runner weed, how should I dig the soil samples? Do I keep the top 4 inches or from the 2 inch to 6 inch level (discard the top 2 inches which read a perfect 7ph originally).

I also just remembered that I wet the original soil with tap water and not distilled water. That also probably justifies a re-test for 2013, to get a real ph level.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

what is the ph of the tap water. you probably fouled the test. what is growing around the plot? does it have good exposure for at least 6-8 hours a day? ferns like to grow in indirect light. we had ferns growing in 4.5 ph. lime the hell out of the place and they died back.

did you perform the test or did you send it to an ag station?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will eat ferns.