Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Small Food Plot ?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Small Food Plot ?

What would be good to plant in a 20x20 area?
I won't be able to till because it would kill the trees close by.
It will be shaded, and sunny.

Thank You.

jrbsr
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

I'm putting together a woods plot blend for that exact situation that I will have ready by fall.

If you want to mix it yourself, it will have ladino clover, crimson clover, winter rye, and forage rape. The clovers will be pre-inoculated. All will grow in acidic soil and light shade. No ryegrass fillers like the others on the market.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to add that green briers, the ones with the big thorns grow there really well.
I cut them with a push mower to clear a spot for a small food plot.
It is on the North West side of a creek.
So who else has any suggestions on what to plant?
That would be good for now.
Thank You.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Some one has to have an opinion on this.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

Sounds like a very small plot. If you have a large population of deer and no protection around it the deer will probably slick it off about as fast as it comes up.

Whats your objective with a 20x20 food plot?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Spike

A 20x20 foot food plot is not very big. Considering this, I would suggest keeping the natural growth in check throughout the summer and about 3 weeks prior to your hunting season plant a mixture of med red clover (or equivalent), spring oats, and winter rye grain.

It will take them a little while to find this small plot but they may stop and take a few bites while headed to their feeding destination or bedding area. You are using this as a kill plot correct? Your biggest hurdle will be getting enough light. Can you hinge or cut any trees around to let in more light?

Either way amend your soil with lime and add some tripple 13.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with smallplot ........

Originally Posted by Smallplot
A 20x20 foot food plot is not very big. Considering this, I would suggest keeping the natural growth in check throughout the summer and about 3 weeks prior to your hunting season plant a mixture of med red clover (or equivalent), spring oats, and winter rye grain.

It will take them a little while to find this small plot but they may stop and take a few bites while headed to their feeding destination or bedding area. You are using this as a kill plot correct? Your biggest hurdle will be getting enough light. Can you hinge or cut any trees around to let in more light?

Either way amend your soil with lime and add some tripple 13.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clover and Chicory will replenish itself...I would recomend planting that.If You could mow a little bigger spot and put more clover down.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Spike

I have a 50 x 60 area and i exclusively plant clover. It is pretty shaded and i did not fertilize this year but it is really spotty so i am going to replant and fertilize this weekend.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what it looks like.
I might go, and mow it bigger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.