Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Questions on soybean planting

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Questions on soybean planting

I am going to put in about 5 acres Im not a farmer but have tractor plow discs can u plant soybeans with an old 2 row corn planter or has anybody attempted? trying to save money but will pay local farmer to seed if i have too Also heard there are soybean seeds that are round-up ready for spraying weeds any info on those so i dont look like an ass at feed store ty appreciate any help guys
Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

This is my first year planting beans also . Are you leaving them for the deer?Im going with Real World RR soy beans .I have read alot about Real Worl and Eagle beans .and seen side by side comparison and dicided to go with real world.As i under stand it is a mix of forage and Ag beans with two shatter resistant varieties so the beans wont open up and fall out early in the season. Im only doing 2 acres and going to electric fence for the first 2 months.. realworldwildlifeseed.com
Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, but you need bean plates for your planter. If its a common planter you should be able to find them easily.

I also recommend roundup ready beans. Just try to keep the amount of roundup under 2 qts per acre, one qt/acre is usually plenty.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Spike

Eagle Seed beans are round up ready, we've used them for years and love them.

This is straight from their website:
"Up to: 42% protein,
3 times the leaf area,
2 times the plant height,
Thirteen tons of food per acre.
Excellent palatability and browsability,
drought, temperature and disease tolerance and,
provides long-season forage from spring to spring."
http://www.eagleseed.com/
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Spike

you can plant with a old two row planter,

i plant with a a old burch planter, i have two units one set up for beans, and the other set up for corn, and it requires a soy bean kit which consist of a center bearing, bean plates, 3 extra chain links and bigger drive sprockets, than the corn would require, bean plates look different than corn plates.

i have my bean planter running 12 cog to 12 cog this is puting out 100 lbs per acre on
18" row spacing, (9 cog to 12 cog cuts it back to 75 lb per acre). i have my planter set at 36" rows and then i split the middles to get a 18" row spacing

my corn i plant at a 29000 population by running the same 12 to 12 cogs with a 18 cell plate

bean plate in planter

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plant 5 acres every may. I use to plant with a two row planter and quit. Now I just broadcast them with my spreader, then lightly disc them in. I've always have a good stand and it is much faster.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Spike

Muzzy, there is a dealer for Real Word here in my county. A quick trip that may save ya some money on shipping. PM my if you need a source - And no, I am not the source.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by matt068
I am going to put in about 5 acres Im not a farmer but have tractor plow discs can u plant soybeans with an old 2 row corn planter or has anybody attempted? trying to save money but will pay local farmer to seed if i have too Also heard there are soybean seeds that are round-up ready for spraying weeds any info on those so i dont look like an ass at feed store ty appreciate any help guys
As pointed out earlier, yes most planters will also plant soybeans but you need the correct plates if a plate planter, or the correct cups if a finger pickup unit.

As far as Round Up Ready, both Real World and Eagles are the Roundup Ready variety. Good luck