Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Buying land with a trash dump - Is this a deal breaker? >

Buying land with a trash dump - Is this a deal breaker?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buying land with a trash dump - Is this a deal breaker?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Buying land with a trash dump - Is this a deal breaker?

Found a piece of land I am very interested in purchasing but found out it has a ravine that has been used as a trash dump. I don't know how long or what is in it but there is definitely a fair amount of trash in there. It has been suggested to me that farm credit etc may not even finance it with this site on the land. I would never to do this but where I grew up this is not that uncommon. Should this be a deal breaker? I really don't think the current owner would have the funds to have this removed. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a tough one...one thing to consider if You bought the Land then had someone come in and make You clean it up any ways that could very well happen?I'd talk with someone in the Area/County that could answer Your questions...like the local ASC Office,County Commisioner,a local Conservation Agent any type of Land Commision You have may help?

You need answers to see if You can rent a Catapilar or Backhoe and cover up the trash pile or if it has to be removed and put in a local Land Fill or would You have to pay someone to remove it properly,Yeah it would definetly be a deal breaker for me!If the previous Land Owner would work with You and drop his price it may help in the process/cost of You cleaning it up?Find out first what is needed to make things right before You sign anything or hand over any amount of money!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of factors,
How much land? How large a dump?
How much of a price drop?
Plan on building down the road with a dug well?
If price drop isn't more than cost to clean it up properly and then some, I would walk away.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Spike

Calling the gov't offices is great advice. What is the ASC?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I hired a real estate attorney when I purchased my land. It was an extra $400 to review all of the papers (plus I have a land contract), but it made me feel like I went into it knowing everything there was to know. You could even add onto the purchase agreement subject to the advise of legal counsel if you get that far. Paying lawyers sucks, but it is probably cheaper than the alternatives.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of rural properties have trash dumps; especially in OK. In most cases its not a big deal. Some states may order the land owner to clean up the dump but i never heard of this happening here in OK. i doubt the bank would turn down a loan unless the dump was a real monster.

I would not recommend that a landowner clean up a trash dump unless he is relatively certain there are no hazardous materials present. If you go prowling around in a dump and discover a really hazardous substance like PCBs, trichloroethylene, or Temik and report it; guess who pays for the cleanup? Hazardous waste cleanup is expensive to the extreme.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Spike

I think I am going to have to pass on this land, unfortunately. This trash would be in an area that would back up with water if I were to dam a seasonal creek like I would want to do. Very disappointing, but thanks for the advice.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may have made a wise decision by passing it up.. Like falcon posted once you purchased the land you would assume all liabilities of the dump. I would very clearly want to know exactly what is in the dump before purchasing at least..
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Spike

Default Cyprus Real Estate

The actual price of the land can be determined on the basis of the area, location and the current market price of that land. If you want to buy another land, then Cyprus is the dream place of many buyers where you can consult the dealers and can have your land at an affordable prices.