HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Food plot assistance (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/359943-food-plot-assistance.html)

kpatte26 03-08-2012 11:32 AM

Food plot assistance

I am looking to plant a small 1/4 to 1/2 acre food plot in the next several weeks. I am using this as a training plot where I can learn what I do right, what I do wrong, what the animals seem to like most, how well it attracts and hold game and so on...
What I need help with is I want to keep this food plot on a small budget... Some things I know will drive cost up like lime and fertilizer but seed prices can also be a little steep. I do not mind putting sweat equity into this plot as part of the learning process so that portion of the cost does not concern me...
What would you guys put in the plot....

gonewest 03-08-2012 11:53 AM

Spray heavy and kill vegitation. Then plant Buck Forage Oates and fertilize it in August the farther north you live the earlier in August you can plant.

Soilman 03-08-2012 06:03 PM

I agree with the spray heavy suggestion from gonewest. I would also pull a soil sample and send it in for analysis. Another option for this year would be to plant buckwheat in the spring after spraying to build soil and keep the weeds down. Spray the buckwheat with roundup in mid-July type time frame, and then you could plant oats, peas and oats, winter rye, or brassicas this late summer. Since you are experimenting this year, maybe try a few different fall options to see what the deer like best if it fits your budget.

MZS 03-08-2012 07:05 PM

To evenly disperse seed and minimize waste, mix the seed with some type of filler or with fertilizer. This can prevent you from wasting money on extra seed.

You can also save money on the Roundup-type weed killer by finding an area farmer that can sell you some. Agricultural suppliers will sell a near equivalent product at prices as much as 8 times cheaper. The Roundup cost can really add up, even on a smaller plot.

You should disclose your general location and soil type - that will be a factor in what some here can suggest for planting.

jake_ 03-09-2012 04:32 PM

Good idea on starting small and seeing what works and what doesnt. I agree on telling us where abouts you are from.
(Check out the link in my signature , there is a food plot starter pack for 20$. Comes with a bunch of different seeds, soil pH test, great how to DVD. )

kpatte26 03-09-2012 06:56 PM

I live in North West Pa... On the New York/PA line... I do not know soil type so with the little bit of information that I provided hope this helps with future recommendations!

MUZZY 100 03-11-2012 11:38 AM

Spray it and let it die ,till it under and let the weeds germinate then spray it again, wait a week or two then put down some pelletized lime and till it back in Plant some clover.You don't need the brand ROUND UP,Just go to a farm store and get bigntuff or something with 40% GLY and your good to go Gly is the same thing in round up at 1/4 the price

Smallplot 03-11-2012 03:18 PM

Did not see what kind of equipment you have at your disposal K, this will make a dig difference what you can do. What are you wanting this plot for, year round food, hunting over in early season, late season hunting, or food during the winter?

kpatte26 03-13-2012 05:05 AM

I have minimal equipment at my disposal... I plan on renting a rototiller for the time being since it is a small plot. I have a hand held sprayer and plan on buying a hand broadcaster.
I plan on using it as a year round food plot but the ultimate goal is to have the deer there when archery season comes around!

kpatte26 03-13-2012 05:16 AM

Again this is a practice plot... Once I gain experience from this plot along with a little more capital I plan on making a bigger plot! So when I talk about making a small plot it will be mostly sweat equity when it comes to tilling the land, applying lime and fertilizer, and so on!