Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
just bought 80 acres in wisconsin - can't wait to get started working on this land >

just bought 80 acres in wisconsin - can't wait to get started working on this land

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

just bought 80 acres in wisconsin - can't wait to get started working on this land

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default just bought 80 acres in wisconsin - can't wait to get started working on this land

All,

I'm from MN but I just bought 80 acres near Webster Wisconsin (any info about that area would be great - how's the hunting???). In my mind it’s a great property – lots of variety, mature oaks, mature pines, open areas, some roll to it, electricty!, and about 6-7 acres of swamp. I can’t wait to get started on the food plots, trails, and picking stand locations.

Anyway, I’ll be more active on this forum when the snow melts. I’ll be looking for advice to turn this woods into a deer haven. I’ll get some pictures and an aerial up once the snow melts – really want advice before I start working on plots.

one quick question: the soil is considered 'loam'. what the hell grows in loam that deer like?

thanks!!!

Last edited by RackLuster; 03-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have some land to your south just outside of Luck. That is some good deer country, as well as bear and other small game. It is pretty country, and I would bet you will be very happy with your new property.

Loam is a term that describes the soil texture, loam is a middle texture class with an "ideal" mix of sand, silt, and clay. In general, loams are a great soil because they hold nutrients, drain well, but still hold a lot of water in the pore spaces. A soil test(s) in the early spring will be a great asset to you indertermining what and where to plant. Even though it is a loam, you still may need lime and will want to add some fertilizer.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the new land.

Last edited by Soilman; 03-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

just got back from walking the property one more time before i close. here's a rub i found, tree is huge! wish i could start hunting tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

by the way, thanks soilman. it will be nice working on food plots in something other than the rocky clay at my land in mn.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Spike

Congrats on the land. That is a nice rub.

I also cant wait for spring.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!!! The best advice I can give you that I learned for myself on my land is to make sure you spray and kill all the weeds and vegitation where you want to plant your plots. This might mean waiting till mid august to plant some plots but thats alright. You can still plant brassicas, oats, rye , wheat, chickory and such in August and have them do well for you then the next spring you can disk up some of them and plant your clover. But if you don't do weed control you will have crummy plots and a battle that will never go away. I planted about 40 crab apple trees also and protected them with wire 6 ft cages and they are now 7-8 yrs old and really stating to pop. Crabs can be like candy to deer around me. But if you go this route spray your area this yr clean it all up and plant next spring. The crab apples are called Hyslops. I got them from Adams county nursery in PA. They will ship. Good luck just be patient because I made all my mistakes when I thought it had to be done now. Have fun hope you get that big devil....
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck!!!