Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What is it?

Old 08-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is it?

Two days ago, I was doing a little pre-season scouting on a place I' ve hunted for many years. There is a fairly large field adjacent to the land I have permission to hunt which rotates crops every 3 years. I' ve seen soybeans, straw, and corn planted there, but this year there' s something planted there whose identity escapes me.

It was obviously machine planted in rows--like alfalfa. It is fairly short--no more than 6" tall currently and has 3 leaves at the top of each plant. The leaves are mostly round with a detectible " blunt point" on the end and the largest ones are about 2" across.

What I want to know is: 1.) it' s identity, and 2.) are deer attracted to it?

The farmer who owns the field does NOT give out permission (I' ve asked) and he' s a particularly unfriendly old cuss who get' s very irritated easily by people asking him anything----so I don' t wish to question him.

Any ideas?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is it?

Check out Bird' s foot trefoil. It matches some of your description. Are there yellow blossoms?

Dan O.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave - it sounds like Soybeans - that were late planted and are not doing well - Could that be?? How far apart are the rows, is there bare dirt visable between the rows?

Old 08-23-2003, 10:12 PM

Marijuana?
Old 08-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter--I have seen soybeans planted there in the past. I am familiar with what they look like when close to harvest stage (although not at an early point), but cannot imagine them having a hard time doing well with all the rain we' ve had this year. The rows are about a foot or so apart and there is dirt very much visible between them--the plants are pretty much a stem and the 3 leaves I described.

Dan O.. I' ll do a search for the birdsfoot trefoil. There are no blooms at this point.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave H my guess would be that it is second crop soybeans, planted after wheat or barley, farmers were late getting small grains harvested this year and the beans got in a little later and are not very tall, we were late getting hot nights and all plants were moving very slowly. How far apart are the rows, either 7 in 15 in or 30 in rows. Take care Ron

Old 08-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave - When soybeans are young in the three leaf phase - the stems are still very hairy - this can probably tell you whether or not its soybeans. Not to many plants planted in rows have 2" leaves - it really sounds like a bean.

Its also possible its some other kind of bean - maybe a simple grean bean? - But whatever it is - if its planted in rows, it' s so it can be harvested with a picker of some kind. Otherwise - it would be just broadcast or drilled like clover or alfalfa.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Fork Horn

Purple hull peas start out similarily. No matter what it is I' d bet deer will get in them.