HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Deer/game Feeders (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/35801-deer-game-feeders.html)

Wooddust 08-21-2003 01:41 PM

Deer/game Feeders

Anyone have experience with deer feeders/game feeders....what brand to avoid or what has worked well for you?

S.Texas 08-21-2003 07:51 PM

RE: Deer/game Feeders

Do you plan on feeding corn or protein?

We ususally buy the barrells get the leg adaptors from Academy and use SpinCast feeder motors.

We only leave our feeders out from September thru March.
Protein needs to be fed out of bulk feeders. Protein pellets must be kept dry.

joeelmo54 08-21-2003 08:40 PM

Our club is using 14 of the Sweeney spin cast feeders. We feed year round and the oldest have been in operation for approx. 10 years. have never burnt out a motor. Do have to replace the programable controller and solar panel-estimate on average every 3 or 4 years. We feed 50% high protein pellets and 50% corn mixed from Feb thru Aug. and Sep thru Jan feed straight corn. We are not using the water shield product and have had very little problem. Occasionaly will have some hang up due to bridging of the pellets at the opening to the spincaster. We are located in SW Ar. and have relatively high humidity and 40 plus in. of rain on average. Have rarely had any mold or mildew problems. We do build a fine sand(river sand) mound under the feeders, very similar to a pitchers mound and try to keep the throw of the feeders adusted to keep feed on the sand and away from as much moisture and puddling as we can. The sand compacts naturally and usually requires additional sand and reshaping once a year. We feed approx 300 lbs. thru each feeder per month. The Sweeney feeder is a little pricey but well worth the money in my opinion and very dependable.

wigmap 08-22-2003 01:02 PM

I see that you guys are saying that you buy protein pellets. What kind or brand are you using? and about what is the price for the poundage you buy?

joeelmo54 08-22-2003 08:00 PM

Purina Deer Chow 20% protein. 50 lb. bag price fluxuates from $7.50 to $8.00 per bag if we buy a ton at a time.

Ballistictip 08-22-2003 08:14 PM

I use a Game Country timer mounted under a 55 gallon drum. It' s about 6 years old and never given a problem. The timer is programable to feed up to 10 times per day. The bad thing is a 6 volt lantern battery only lasts about 2 months. I used an old winch off of a boat trailer lag bolted to a nearby tree. I chained a pulley to a large limb in a tree and with 60 feet of 5/16" steel cable I just crank it up about 25 feet in the tree. It holds 300lbs of corn.

kimndavid 08-22-2003 08:27 PM

;)I' ve been using OnTime feeders for about the past 4 years. I have been very pleased with the reliability.:D Used audiolink for several years. I wouldn' t recommend them, we had problems with switches and battery contact points:(

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->

S.Texas 08-23-2003 05:57 AM

While attending college at Texas A&M Kingsville - we fed the captive deer herd Moormans Protein pellets. Dr. Henke suggested that the Moormans was the best quality feed that had all the right ingredients. Not just protein - but proper levels of clacium, phosphorus, and other essentail minerals. I myself feed our show swine Moormans feed. Its high - but its good.

wigmap 08-25-2003 10:30 AM

I like feeders with timers but we have such a problem with bears destroying them it is almost not worth the effort to bear proof a feeder. Any suggestions?

arkansasbowhunter 08-28-2003 11:01 AM

have you tried hanging the feeder between trees with a chain with the bottom of the feeder 10ft off the ground? I did that at my cabin but haven' t been back up there to see how it worked. my 55 gallon drum feeder was tore up by a bear and this was my solution so far.