HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Best Location for a successful Mineral Lick (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/354684-best-location-successful-mineral-lick.html)

MIZ_hunter7 12-01-2011 01:34 PM

Best Location for a successful Mineral Lick

I've had success with mineral licks in the past at the edge of a tree line or close to a creek. But I'm putting in food plots in the spring and what are some locations you guys prefer to use? Edge of fields, in a wooded area, just what's your preference. Thanks.

SpaCitySniper 12-01-2011 07:54 PM

I would like to know other people's opinions on this as well. I have a mineral lick set up in the woods. I just set it up about a month ago though(not the best time to set up a mineral lick) and it hasn't been payed much attention to yet. I was thinking about making my own mineral mix and putting it out on an open area or near a little creek.

NutraDeer 12-02-2011 12:03 PM

Hi traffic areas. You want to keep these mineral licks at locations that are very easy for deer to get to. Deer will seek them out even if they are in remote locations but the usage will be minimal compared to those licks in areas where deer frequent.

Here is my favorite setup... Mineral Lick 101.

1) You should pick out a tree that that you can strap a trail camera to.

2) Face the camera North on the tree to keep the sun angle from heating up the camera or blacking it out with bright sunlight.

3) The tree/ camera should be about 5 yards away from your lick.

4) Try to find areas that you can easily walk to, ride a 4 wheeler or take a truck into. I like check the camera about once a month starting in July.

5) Keep the mineral lick fresh all times if the year.....highest consumption will occur from spring green up to a month after hard antler. Usage will continue year around if mineral is present. Even though they will eat the dirt you need to have some visible mineral showing all year long.

Let the cattle eat the cattle mineral....:biggrin:

MIZ_hunter7 12-02-2011 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info!

Kbaird83 12-06-2011 03:46 PM

I have tried multiple places. In the woods, field edges, pipelines, ect and I have noticed they seem to hit them harder near a water source. In the woods off a high traffic trail near water is the best. The do also work well about 10 yards in the woods off field edges. Make great staging areas.

Brav_heart 01-01-2012 09:07 PM

Deer really like mineral salt in the summer, but I'm sure some of the other manufactured products especially tailored for deer have more nutrients in them.

hossdaniels 01-06-2012 12:53 PM

I agree with the above, but would like to add a few things.

1. In the woods, look for trail intersections near water.

2. Near fields, focus on warm season forage (soybeans, cowpeas, jointvetch, red clover, etc.).

3. If possible, look for clay soil to start a mineral site. The attractant (typically salt) will last much longer on clay than sand. You can expect up to three months on clay soil.

4. Refresh your sites on sandy soil monthly, as the salt will leach out quickly.

5. Understand what you are getting in a mineral supplement. Biologists recommend a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus, plus vitamins. Do not confuse a trace mineral block with a deer mineral supplement. Trace mineral salt blocks have only .5% calcium and .02 phosphorus. Compare this to my premium mineral supplement at 14% calcium and 7% phosphorus.

Very few products marketed to hunters are actually designed for helping deer reach their potential. Many products marketed as deer mineral supplements are nothing more than trace mineral salt.

6. Read the analysis on the label!
The reason that most companies do not advertise that information is that they do not want you to know how bad it is!

I offer a mineral concentrate for those that prefer to mix their own minerals, you just need a bag of my mineral concentrate and a bag of salt. I also offer ready to use products that are ready to pour on the ground.

Click on the second link in my signature for more info on my mineral supplements.

jake_ 02-25-2012 10:59 AM

Great info.

Also check out Antler Kings new Power Rack Mineral.