Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best Plots for Deer in PA

Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best Plots for Deer in PA

Hey guys,
I have never planted a food plot before and was asked by my boss to manage the deer herd for him. He has about 273 acres of which im not sure how much is fields. However, my questions are these:
1) What plants are best to plant in PA. I'd like to know what deer love to eat the most. And also which ones that are the most nutritious. And when is their preferred season of the year to eat these greens.
2) Next I'd like to know how many mineral beds i should put out for the amount of acreage that ill be working with.
3) Id like if anyone could tell me any websites that could help me with the Ph of the soil.

Anything else i should know will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tim
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Tim,

There are no simple answers to your questions. Check out what farmers in the area plant, and read what others in the area plant for food plots. The best thing you can do is take a soil sample and send it in to a nearby soil lab. Penn State has a lab if you are interested in sending your soil there. Once you know about your soil, you can select crops that match your soil and how much you wish to manage and spend on the plots. Remarkably, I could could pull soil samples here north of 45 latitude, so you may be able to pull soil for a sample as well. After you receive your soil test results, you can find out how much fertilizer and/or lime different crops need. You will also need to consider how you will work the soil, how will you plant the seed, weed control, seed sources, fertilizer and lime sources, etc. Food plots can be a lot of work, but they extend the fun of the season for 9 months if you enjoy the work.

Here is a link to the Penn State Soil Lab (standard soil test is good enough) http://www.aasl.psu.edu/SSFT.HTM

Here is a link to Penn State crop and soil management soil pH and fertility recs. http://extension.psu.edu/agronomy-guide/cm

You will be successful if you do your research, and work at your plots.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Good info above, also dont forget to consider what your neighbors are doing. Example, if next door is 400 acres of soybeans, dont bother much with warm season forage.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, Guys! I appreciate it!