Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Can it be done?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can it be done?

Is it possible to plant small food plots in semi-open areas in the woods?

I was thinking of doing this but, is it too late? What will grow if you just sow the seeds without ground preparation (if anything)?

It is just not possible to plow or disc in there.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Things like clover and cereal grains will grow if you can rake up the ground enough that the seeds can make contact with the soil. Of course, you’ll need a little bit of sunlight too. It’s much too late to plant this year in PA.

Last edited by M.Magis; 10-14-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Things like clover and cereal grains will grow if you can rake up the ground enough that the seeds can make contact with the soil. Of course, you’ll need a little bit of sunlight too. It’s much too late to plant this year in PA.
Well, there is always next year until you die. I thought there were some products which are planted in the fall for winter feed. Maybe serious ground preparation is required.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

The things I mentioned are typically planted in the fall, but they do need time to grow before cool weather sets in. Around here, Labor Day is a good planting date. By mid October, there’s just not enough daylight and warm days left for anything to get much growth.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by M.Magis
The things I mentioned are typically planted in the fall, but they do need time to grow before cool weather sets in. Around here, Labor Day is a good planting date. By mid October, there’s just not enough daylight and warm days left for anything to get much growth.
Thanks for the info. I will plan for next year.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a spot like what you described. Its a half acre opening in the woods. I am lucky enough to get to use my parents tiller to work the ground....or so I thought. I got half of it worked and the tiller died. I had everything sprayed and killed a few weeks earlier. I went ahead and spread my mix of peas, clover, oats, rye, and groundhog radishes hoping to get lucky. We received 2.5 inches of rain the next three days and the plot looks awesome! You can grow a great plot without working the ground. The key is killing all the existing vegetation and timing the planting with the rain.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by titleist_03
I have a spot like what you described. Its a half acre opening in the woods. I am lucky enough to get to use my parents tiller to work the ground....or so I thought. I got half of it worked and the tiller died. I had everything sprayed and killed a few weeks earlier. I went ahead and spread my mix of peas, clover, oats, rye, and groundhog radishes hoping to get lucky. We received 2.5 inches of rain the next three days and the plot looks awesome! You can grow a great plot without working the ground. The key is killing all the existing vegetation and timing the planting with the rain.
agree...if the weather permits, around 70*f, and rain...you can get er done...need water and temps to germinate...some things wont grow unless buried in the ground an inch, as they wont be able to hold themselves up when reaching maturity and will fall over and die, but alot of things will make it...rye grass and oats are a fav around here for least work done plots....if ya dont get a soil sample, you could be wasting yer time and money....guys told us to put out lime and till it in, let it sit for a year and so on...turned out we just needed a lil trip 13 (13-13-13)