HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Log books (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/35098-log-books.html)

ostdc 08-12-2003 03:22 PM

Log books

Has anyone developed their own log book for keeping both harvest data and observation data? Should it be two seperate logs?
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has developed their own forms for keeping such information and would be willing to share.
We already keep a " Deer Diary" with some information written out about weight, points, date, location, caliber, etc. We also keep seasonal notes...weather, notable misses, sightings of big bucks, but only for the 9 day WI season. We have done this for over 30 years. But there is no record ever of doe sightings, estimates, ratios, or anything. I' d like to start. If someone could give me a hand, I' d appreciate it.
Thanks.
Brian

timbercruiser 08-12-2003 04:35 PM

RE: Log books

Go to the QDMA website, www.qdma.com , and you should be able to locate their log books for sale. If you can' t find it, call them at 1-800-3337 and someone will help you out. They run about $5 each.

Russ otten 08-12-2003 04:51 PM

Here' s the basic items I use as a hunting log. Using Excel, I divide the page into 4 sections, type in the following comments spreading the items to give me space to write notes. (see notes in parenthesis).

HUNTING LOG ?(Heading, 1 line)
DATE (1 line)
WEATHER SUN CLDY RAIN TEMP (1 line)
STAND NO. WALK? Y N (1 line)
DEER SIGHTED BUCKS DOES (1 line)
SHOTS TAKEN 0 1 2 3 4 (1 line)
RUBS/SCRAPES FOUND: (2-3 lines)

NOTES: (The rest of the quarter page)

Printing 4 to a page and the other side, I have 8 pages to use. I cut top and bottm apart, fold and staple which makes a little booklet that fits easily in a shirt pocket.
If you need more pages, just print out another sheet. Add or remove to suit your self if you see a need for other items to record.

I' ve also made a map of my farm in the paint program

HUNTING LOG ?
DATE
WEATHER SUN CLDY RAIN TEMP
STAND NO. WALK? Y N
DEER SIGHTED BUCKS DOES
SHOTS TAKEN 0 1 2 3 4
RUBS/SCRAPES FOUND:

NOTES:

You can add, delete or alter any of the fields to suit you own logbook. Other logbooks may be bulky but this is easy to carry while hunting so you can record things as you hunt.
Russ

Dan O. 08-12-2003 09:37 PM

I draw maps of my property on the walls of the old trailer on my property. All pertinent information is drawn on the maps as the year progresses. The only problem is going to be when I scrap the trailer and build a house. It' s fun to be able to see where and when the deer were sighted, etc. for any year when you' re sitting back relaxing. All of the planting plans are on other spaces of the walls.

Dan O.

lunchbucket 08-13-2003 07:01 AM

We suggest that logs of food plots be kept. This is a legal document and may increase the value of the property. We are seeing more real estate listings that list food plots and records...

greg-dude 08-14-2003 07:16 AM

Dan O, here' s something I read on a different site that you may be interested in as well as others here on the site. I have not tried this yet, but it should work particularly if you have any skills using Microsoft word or other word processors. Inport into word an aerial photo of your property. There should be free sites where this can still be done or you can use a plotter and an aerial photo from your local NCRS office. After it is inported, use the word software to make your property boundaries over the photo and to mark off areas of interest such as food plots, stands, deer trails or whatever. Safe a template of it and every year you can adjust your sitings or whatever. Use different colors or markings to signify different events or structures. If you get really fancy, you could link it to a spreadsheet for data logs or harvest reports. This could keep one occupied for a long time. There is software out there that this can done on easier, but one should be able to do this with a word processor. It will just take more time and patients.

Russ otten 08-14-2003 05:43 PM

I have drawn a map of my property in the Paint program, and have done the same thing, use a template to reuse each year. I tried to post (or uploadd it, but this site does not accept a bitmap. If someone would give me some hints as to how to aconvert this to an aceptable pormat, I would appreciate it.
Russ

wigmap 08-15-2003 11:05 AM

Among everything else listed we have also started keeping track of the actual B&C or P&Y score. I do it myself so I am sure there is a measure of error but it is close enough. Just use a flexible tape such as a tailor would use and you can get instructions and a score sheet off the internet.