Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What brand ATV recommended for food plots? >

What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

I want to know what kind of ATV to include on my wish list. I will also use it for hunting, but the primary concern is being able to pull ATV implements and make food plots on my place. Can you recommend specific makes and models? I realize that strength and clearance are important, but don' t know hardly anything about ATV' s!

Thanks!

Doug
Old 08-12-2003, 05:10 PM

Default RE: What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Start window shopping. Check all the dealers in your area. Remember, everyone of them will tell you thier' s is the best. A must is 4 whe4el drive. Really big machines may be hard to maneuver in tight places and smaller ones may not have the weight to handle equipment. I have a Yamaha Big Bear but have only used it to spread seed and use a spraybar with a tank on the back rack. My plots have trails wide enough for my MF tractor to get to them for tilling, spreading lime, fertilizer. My 5 foot tiller will work up a plot with a couple of passes.
But, don' t worry, everyone will give their opinion on the ATV that they use.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve got a ' 98 Yamaha Big Bear also. I' ve used it to pull a disc that with all the weights on it comes in around 350 pounds. It' s pulled logs 2 feet in diameter and nearly 20 feet long. It doesn' t manuever well in tight spaces but considering it' s almost as big as a volkswagon you can' t expect it to. The reason I went with the Bear was for the rated capacities. At the time it was rated to pull more and carry more weight than anything in it' s class plus had one of the best prices also. Like Russ said, compare all the different brands and models. Do some research on the internet before going to the dealership so you know as much about each model as you can. Let whatever the salesman tells you go in one ear and out the other. Then when you' ve seen them all, go for the one that best suits your needs and price range. Good luck!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:09 PM

I visited several dealers in my area which handled three or four brands. I went in back and talked to the service managers. they all pretty much agreed: if you want hardworking and dependable by a Honda, if you want speed and a smooth ride buy a Polaris. They all told me they get the Honda' s back the least for warranty service. I bought a Rubicon. I am very happy.

I would talk to a few dealers that sell several brands. get there opinion.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a Honda if you want the least problems.

Dan O.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, guys! Sometimes when work is slow, I get to thinking about spending my future income. I think all my money is spoken for through 2010!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:42 AM

Just a note on the repairs for my Yamaha.
It' s a 1996 model, and has been serviced usually once each year. Oil filter and tune up. My only major repair? Replace right front boot. This machine spends 90% of it' s time pulling a 4X8 trailer, hauling tools, wood (the trailer will carry almost a 1/4 cord) this is our major heat source. One strange thing, deer don' t get excited of it when the trailer is on it, but take the trailer off, different story. I guess I should leave the tailer on it even when hunting.
Russ
Old 08-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

The best brand is the brand that is offered by the dealers closest to you with the best warranty and the quickest delivery time on the warranty fixes. The product is only as good as the warranty and the time it takes to have warranty issues taken care of...
Old 08-14-2003, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have three machines right now, ' 03 Grizzly 660, Polaris 500 and Polaris 90 (for my 5 year old) Between my freinds and I we' ve had about everything! All the manufacturers have pretty good machines these days. Uncle Al was right about Hondas, they are very good machines. Polaris Sportsman series has the best ride. For hunting/ working machines a solid rear axel is the best. they can pull and handle greater tong weights. They' re ground clearance and ride isn' t very good though. Hondas Foreman and Rubicon are great machines. For what you' re looking for, DON' T buy the new Honda Rincon! It looks really nice and has a big engine but its not at all a workhorse. Its designed for trail riding! Lots of Honda dealers don' t disclose this! Independant rear suspenion will give you the best ride and ground clearance. Push button 4 wheel drive is a must. I think a machine with a tight turning radius is very important. My Grizzly 660 turns very tight and can really pull. You can get every accessory under the sun! the teo most important are a winch and a rear bag. I didn' t think I' d use the winch much but its the best " add on" on my machine. The rear bag is great for holding things (water bottles, machetties, rope, seed, chainsaws, maps and on and on!!

Compared to 10 years ago, todays ATV' s are all pretty good. Ride them all and it will be easy picking out what you want and NEED!!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve ridden quite a few ATVs and my favorites are the Yamahas and Hondas, particularly the Yamaha Kodiak and Honda FourTrax Foreman.

Quick Reply: What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.