Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What brand clover?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default What brand clover?

I am going to plant my first food plot for next season. It already has clover in it but hasn't been taken care of it has just grown wild for a few years. I was going to plant soy beans but the deer seem to like the clover so I m going to stick with it. My question is what brand or type of clovers would be best for northeastern Kansas?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Spike

The best advice we were given was to check and see what the farmers are planting around you. As for us, we used Imperial No Plow with some 12-12-12 fertilizer and it has done quite well and it's easy to do. We have a video on how we did it and the a "end result" at the link at the bottom if you want to check it out. BTW keep in mind that we are from Ohio so you may have to "tweek" what type of fertilizer you use. Either way best of luck to ya.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Spike

Default Clover to plant

I suggest making sure you have 3 things done b4 you plant clover in KS.

1. Soil test this fall to get the exact fertilizer recommendations and also the soil pH and any lime needed to bring up the pH to 6.5 or higher. PH IS CRITICAL

2. Make sure you have bottomland that doesn't dry out too quickly in the summer where you clover can survive. Dry/sandy soils do not support good clover growth unless the soil holds some moisture.

3. Add any lime needed this fall if possible to give it time to correct the pH before you plant. Fertilize at planting time.

My suggestion if you have all of these done is Chicory Plus. It's a blend of chicory and Imperial Clover. It has worked for me for the last 3 years and is still going strong. It's a deer magnet.

All I do is fertilize each anniversary and spray the grass in the spring when it's small and easy to kill. This past year I didn't need to spray because I've killed most of the grass in the past couple years.

POP
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Spike

otismyman has brought up a great point, certainly check the pH balance it will basically dictate what you can and can't use.