Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My throw and grow fooplot

Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default My throw and grow fooplot

So over the past few years i have been reading alot about food plots and it has really given me a whole new interest to go along with hunting. This summer I decided I would try out some food plots and see what happens. Now this is my small food plot or my kill plot. On this particular piece of property we also put in a 2 acre plot loaded up with winter pea's, chicory, soybean and wheat. This small food plot has a n interesting story to it.
One day I was in shopping around for some seed and came across a bag of throw and grow for 14$. Figured id give it a try and see what happens. The idea being if it didn't work..all I wasted was a few hours of work and 14 bucks. well me and my girlfriend took 2 iron rakes, a weed whacker, and a hand spreader with the seed and some fertilizer we had laying around. we chose an old logging road just off of where my stand is set up. I knew that the deer had been moving through there alot, but I really needed to do something that would grab their attention and perhaps even bring a few more deer my way. So we cleared of the road, whacking downs all of the ferns and weeds in our way, my girlfriend followed behind and got all the rocks and roots she could. It took about 2 hours before we were ready to rake up the ground. We raked the ground up real good and planted our seed and fertilizer. A few hours later as the other guys were finishing up with their food plot they had some left over lime, so we took 50 pounds of lime and spread it out all over the plot. we were lucky enough to get a pretty decent rain that next day and it germinated rather quickly.
The following weekend I went up and the 1st thing I did was check my food plot. to my astonishment it looked like a sod lawn, it was growing in extremely thick and green. loaded with brassica and clover. and some oats too. Basically whatever came in the bag. i believe it had some rape in there as well. Anyways it came in beautifully and my trail came had a tonnnn of nice pictures of deer feeding in it. That same weekend I went down to my local feed store and bought a small amount of chicory and clover and over seeded it again because I was expecting rain that evening. well later that week hurricane Irene hit and knocked over quite a few trees, one tree fell and took out about a 6 X 6ft section of the plot but the rest stayed in tacked. This weekend i was able to get some photos of what the plot looks like after 3 1/2 weeks. It is growing in thick but the deer have been hitting the clover extremely hard. We have just an incredible amount of trail cam pics of deer using the plot every night. the have managed to keep it cut down, and I noticed that in a few spots they have really hit it hard. Here are a few pictures of what the foodplot looks like..

the first night i planted seed..

some oats and brassicas that are growing in..

Last edited by snedd162; 09-18-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks nice, good luck hunting it this season.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Spike

looks like the timing was perfect, good seed, good site, hard work and lots of rain was the perfect recipe !
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

loks very good.. good luck with it