Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

SE Virginia food plot question

Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

yea i can get water to it in the evenings to keep the ground damp, but i just measured the area and its 22yds x 29yds.. i know i should get a test but everyone is saying i need to get it tilled and planted asap, is this true or do i have some time before i need the oats spread and the crimson clover?
hoss- on a plot this small, about how much oats and clover would i actually need to fill that area in pretty well? obviously i have to get a 50lb bag of oats but the clover is sold in 1lb bags at my local feed & seed store and i was thinking probably about 5lbs. what do you think? and roughly how much fertilizer and lime would i need? i was thinking 80lbs of lime and 120lbs of 10-10-10?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

oh yea when i called the feed & seed store the guy said that more people around our area have better luck with wheat.. yall ever tried that? what would it hurt to try a few things all mixed together or even in sections of my area i have? some oats, clover, then wheat? or that just to stupid and i be best off doing 1 thing or something?
i know im typing alot but like i said its all new to me and just trying to see what my options are and everything
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

I've used wheat with good results. It also does better planted shallow, unlike oats. That's a fine mix. Adjust your rate down, say 30 lbs of oats and wheat vs 50lbs of one.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

mix it up, put a bunch of stuff in there.
if ya separate it into areas, next year you'll know what they like.
water in the morning instead of at night.
dont get in a rush, if ya plant a bunch of stuff and the soil is crap, you waste a bunch of time and money puttin in stuff that aint gonna grow.
get a soil test...could of been 3 days away from results if ya got it a few days ago. gl
Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

yea im gonna do a soil test and see what i got that way i know what i need to spend my money on. im gonna send my samples out monday and see what i need to do, soon as i get my results i will post them here and let you guys see what i got and maybe get some input.. thanks for yalls help so far and the advise.
when i did my garden i would water heavy in the mornings and light in the evenings, that sound good also or just the mornings? and if i dont have to spend a ton on fertilizer and lime then i may just put a few different plants in the plot.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

what would yall plant if it was in your back yard?
there is no farms or food plots around my house, and its about 630acres of woods behind my house and all the deer have is the food in the woods to feed on, and maybe some peoples flower beds in the neighbor hoods on the other side of the block of woods.