Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Milo in the southeast?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Milo in the southeast?

Hey guys,
I was just curious about the effectiveness of planting Milo in the southeast. Any pointer??? just trying to get a food plot of something a lil different than what all our other plots are planted with on our lease (buck oats). Any better suggestions?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Milo works great. Needs lots of nitrogen, but it is much more drought tolerant than corn. Too late for this year though, at least here. You are looking at least 100 days to maturity (the seed is the food, like corn).
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah i kinda figured it would be to late to plant something expecting to get a crop out off it... Im just worried about getting this one in, it is rele a small hiddey hole plot in a secluded area i cleared in hopes of haveing a little safe haven that doesnt get hunted everyweekend likethe rest of the fields on our club... I havent taken a pH sample yet but im sure it will be fairly acidic due to the pines around the clearing... any ideas on what else i can get in there that will give the deer something they may want around december????? Im in Central Alabama btw
Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the perfect spot for oats. You could do an annual clover like crimson, or better yet a mix of crimson clover and oats.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Ill probly end up goin with that anyways ha... Thanks for the advice on it. May the actual food wont be as big of a deal as the location of the plot... right out of the bedding area, very secluded.. i was just hoping to add that lil extra punch with somethin to eat they didnt already have available