Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

[Deleted]

Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-06-2003, 10:30 AM

Default RE: Brassica food plot

CLPL, welcom to the forum.

I do not know where you go that information but the deer in my area and most love the Brassica plants. Brassica is really a form of turnip it can grow very tall and has a large broad leaf. The thing with a lot of Brassica is it can take several months before it will mature and the deer find it palatable. In a lot of cases this occurs after the first frost. I planted mine in May and they never touched it until late August. I didn' t have a frost then but that is when they actually went after it. The leaves actually started to turn purple much like an apple that ripens. I believe there are some brands that are grown specifically for fall and can be planted now for the fall hunting season. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 AM

I had some rape (canola) seed that I planted in Central MO several years back. Deer had nothing to do with it even after several frost. I attributed this to a high mast crop, the varitity that I used and that deer in my area never seen it before. I heard several other people in various states that had similar results. Then again I heard that deer will eat it like candy in other areas. Best thing I would tell you is see if someone in your area has try it and their results or just plant a small trial plot for this year.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:00 PM

CLPL, I have a place in the U.P of Michigan and I planted about two acres last year. The deer did not touch it until the first frost. After the first frost they ate it to the ground in about a week. I planted mine on August 17th last year and it was 2 feet tall by the 10th of October. I planted about 7 lbs per acre and loaded the 19/19/19 fert at 200 lbs per acre. This plant loves nitrogen. I had as many as 25 deer in my field every afternoon. I would be surprised if your deer did not like the rape. I planted 7 acres this year and hope the plots last longer than 1 week. I hope this helps.

P.S. My ph level is between 6.7 and 7.2.