Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

baiting deer controversy

Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Spike

Default baiting deer controversy

http://www.centralwisconsinsports.ne...your-momma-is/

heres an honest opinion.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a very big difference between shooting deer over bait and the supplemental feeding of deer. At our places adults do not shoot deer over bait or in the game plots. Kids are allowed to shoot deer in the game plots.

We feed deer to keep them on our properties during deer season; it's another tool in the deer management tool box. We do shoot hogs under feeders.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Spike

I think you have to consider the area and what you call baiting. Is there a difference in hunting over a pile of corn and hunting over a corn field?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arkansas 1
I think you have to consider the area and what you call baiting. Is there a difference in hunting over a pile of corn and hunting over a corn field?
absolutely not.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Spike

I agree. I think often times people don't put food plots or crop fields in the "baiting" catagory.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Spike

If I didn't hunt over a crop field, I would have no place on my land to hunt. I have three stands that are in position over the tillable acreage with a wood line behind me.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Spike

I understand. I'm not saying you are wrong in doing so. I hunt in a pine thicket where visibility is about 10 yds. If I don't clear out a spot and bait the road is the only place to hunt. Just saying that people who pass judgement on people who bait need to consider the area.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Spike

when hunting a corn field, there are many options for where the deer can feed, over a pile of corn in the middle of the woods there is only one spot they go. not saying baiting is right or wrong. i hunt in large chunks of woods and scout a lot. nothing is worse then coming onto loads of sign to walk over the hill and find that someone rides their wheeler out back and drops a pile of corn or something. now that place is off limits to me because that is not my bait pile. lots of people in my area dont go by the law and just put it out where they want to.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Baiting deer (with the exception of food plots) is illegal in Virginia during deer season. I wonder what the tons of bagged shelled corn (marked DEER CORN) which is sold by Walmart and others during the season is used for.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by keyshunter
Baiting deer (with the exception of food plots) is illegal in Virginia during deer season. I wonder what the tons of bagged shelled corn (marked DEER CORN) which is sold by Walmart and others during the season is used for.
I was in our local wal-mart just the other day when they rolled out 2 pallets of deer cocain which is illegal in the state. I asked the guy who they were going to sell it to, he replied "people buy this up as fast as we can put it out" I stated "it is illegal to use here" he stated "no it isn't" I grabbed the lawbook off his counter and showed him the law.... He didn't have anything more to say.

IMO follow the law. I have hunted in states where you could bait and in states where you could not. The end result is that the deer is dead either way and quite frankly I don't really think baiting gives a hunter an edge unless they feed all year long and grow fat, lazy deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.