HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Great Wisconsin Deer Habitat!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/3459-great-wisconsin-deer-habitat.html)

NorthJeff 01-28-2002 12:21 PM

Great Wisconsin Deer Habitat!!!

Wow!
I just got back from looking at 4 potential lease properties in WI. I was amazed at not only the outstanding terrain, cover, topography, and beauty, but the landowners attitudes, knowledge, and peronal resposibility in the promotion of QDM, and QDM principles.

I'm sure this is not evident in all areas, but we are choosing a property by Coon Valley WI, and my hunting partner and I were very impressed, to say the least.

For all of you from WI, you should be very pleased with what your state has to offer, and the progressive QDM stance that many landowners are imbracing. I have hunted in KY, PA, IN, and of course MI-lower and upper, and from what I could see, WI, as a hole, has the other states beat hands-down.

I guess the statistics don't lie.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.

mr.turkey 01-28-2002 08:59 PM

RE: Great Wisconsin Deer Habitat!!!

Jeff, I agree with you that Wisconsin has a lot to offer the trophy whitetail hunter, I've lived here all my life and have enjoyed some awesome hunting, don't forget to check out Wisconsins turkey, bear, and grouse also.
anyone interested in hunting northcentral Wisconsin should contact me

Deleted User 01-29-2002 11:49 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

NorthJeff 01-29-2002 12:20 PM

Brian,

We got back early Sunday AM-1:30 or so.

I already have the arial photo from Terraserver saved on my favorites, and the topo map. We have 16-20 treestands already picked out, and I have 10 treestands set-aside for my share, and my partner is providing the other. We are going again the 1st week in march to scout for a day, and mark trees with ribbon for future sites-might even hang 2 or 3 if given time. All of our stands will be in before July, with 2-3 stands sites per point/draw for different winds, and quite a few scattered along benches near the tops of the ridges that border the farm field. Because of the lay of the land, and access routes, about half the stands will be evening only, with about 8-10 available for morning stands. We even have a place picked out for our little camper, right near the road, so we spook game as little as possible.

As far as the cagy deer go, I grew up hunting in farmland, where very few grow to be 2.5 years old-talk about pressure! With the older age indicated by the numerous large rubs-bigger than your leg, this area must be hunted a little less than where we come from. The farmer's son-in-law also showed us 6 racks from the last 4 years that score between 120 and 140, and he didn't seem like he even hunted much. They were all typical 10's, with some stickers here and there.

We are diffenately looking forward to the hunting and will probably put in the neighborhood of about 20 full days of hunting into the property, not to mention the numerous scouting/tree stand trips.

The farmer also mentioned the turkeys are a nuisance, and he hoped we would shoot some. Maybe if we have time.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.

richie916 02-02-2002 04:52 AM

Jeff
As Brian said the trout fishing is tremendous in that area. I went to school in La Crosse and fished the area alot. Good luck hunting and every farmer thinks turkeys are a nuisance. My uncle has tried to run them down with the tracter, what a nut. Hope you enjoy wisconsin. Good luck

Rich