Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Grass and weed killers

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gregrn43
Thats funny I have never heard of atrazine killing corn before. Thats what farmers around here used on corn and milo until the roundup variety came out. I use atrazine on my sweet corn every year as a premergent and raise good corn every year
Greg your right atrazine is a pre product but spraying it over the top will kill it though ,

For clover I recommend clethodim ,arrow,
select max, or volunteer to kill the grasses.

Generic glyphosate for the roundup ready corn , buccaneer, credit extra, glyphos extra, glystar , imitator plus or if your just set on spending money you can buy the monsanto brand Roundup power max .

Fertilizers there are many many different kinds and analysis's , granulars, liquids foliar feeds. If I was doing mine I would use a foliar feed like a foliboost, harvest more urea mate, extra power, folizyme , or a slow release nitrogen product like Extend X 28-0-0 .

Most of this stuff can be bought on ebay
Hope this helps you out
Scott
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with much of what was said above. But, for many years (per Penn State recommendation), in corn that was short enough to get the booms over, we used atrazine plus crop oil to control grasses that had escaped our pre-emergence sprays. We never saw damage to the corn. One caveat is to plant corn and not oats or any other atrazine sensitive crop in that field the following year, since there is a likelihood of damage from the residual atrazine.

Last edited by keyshunter; 06-21-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you apply Glyphosate? How did it do?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Spike

You say you are going to walk around and spray manually. I have used Gly on weeds between rows of sweet corn in a small garden plot. My corn was 2' apart and I used a backpack on a non windy day making sure I did not spray the corn leaves, it worked. RR corn seed is the way to go for large areas.