Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Grass and weed killers

Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Grass and weed killers

I have around 1 1/4 acres or so of corn I planted abought 3 weeks or so ago .
Afew days after planting we were getting some rain so I gave the Corn, Oats, and Clover some fertilizer .
So now I was told after the corn gets about 16 to 18 inches or so I should spray the weeds and grass down with some weed killer .
I,m looking to do it manuly , just walking around and spraying in between the corn .
Whats the best bang for your buck on this ?
I see many brands and sizes in the stores .
Some are ready to spray but usualy dont say how much area they cover .
I,v seen some listed as cover 1/4 to 1/2 acre there are some cheaper then others .
Should I buy a sray container and get the consentrated weed and grass killer or just get the ready mix ? Thanks ..
Also was told after the corn is a couple feet tall dress it with some milder fertilizer .
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is your corn planted with oats and clover? If it is I'm not sure what can be sprayed to contol the weeds without killing the corn or oats. If your corn is of the roundup ready variety, then use roundup. If its not roundup ready then the only spray I can think of is atrazine, which works much better as a premergent than post emergent
Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

As mentioned, if your corn isn’t RR, there’s not much you can do to kill the grasses. At least not on a small scale, economically. You can use 2,4D to take care of the broadleaf weeds with no harm to the corn. Corn likes a dose of N after it’s a foot or two tall, so just get some urea rather than N P K fertilizer. Put it down right before a good rain, or most of the N will be lost to the atmosphere.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gregrn43
Is your corn planted with oats and clover? If it is I'm not sure what can be sprayed to contol the weeds without killing the corn or oats. If your corn is of the roundup ready variety, then use roundup. If its not roundup ready then the only spray I can think of is atrazine, which works much better as a premergent than post emergent
Do not use atrazine , your corn and oats are a grass species and its going to kill them . your kind of stuck , the only thing I can think of is 24D to control the broadleaf weeds but its not going to take any grasses out of the mix if it would it would also kill your corn and oats . You might call your wildlife extension and see what they suggest , I work in the Farm chem industry so I have some experience in this dept but I cannot give you a good recommendation to fix your problem . Sorry
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks .
Sorry I may have typed the info. wrong ?
I planted the corn plot by itself,
Also the oats are in one section and the clover in another .
Ther is nothing planted together .
My local feed store suggested I sray some weed killer after the corn is abought a foot or so high ?
If this is not good info. or I shouldnt spray anything on it please advise me .
It is R/R corn .
So after its around 2 ft tall what is a good dressing or lite fertilizer I could put on it or should it be good to go as is ?
Thanks again,,,
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TRACKER
It is R/R corn .
So after its around 2 ft tall what is a good dressing or lite fertilizer I could put on it or should it be good to go as is ?
Thanks again,,,
It's a no brainer. Use Roundup or a generic. It'll kill everything except the corn. You may need an adjuvent or surfactant.

As far as fertilizer, use urea right before a rain. A 5 gallon bucket of it should be enough for 1/2 an acre. Get it where farmers get their fert.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TRACKER
Thanks .
Sorry I may have typed the info. wrong ?
I planted the corn plot by itself,
Also the oats are in one section and the clover in another .
Ther is nothing planted together .
My local feed store suggested I sray some weed killer after the corn is abought a foot or so high ?
If this is not good info. or I shouldnt spray anything on it please advise me .
It is R/R corn .
Thanks again,,,

i agree..no brainer...round up...sure beats using a hoe.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Just piling on here but round up for sure. Better buy a good sprayer and buy the concentrate that you cut yourself with water. Buy a good sprayer, cheap one is just that cheap. Cheap one may not make it through the job. Make sure not to get the weed and grass killer, that stuff kills everything. Get just the weed killer.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks , As I thought just wanted to be sure ..
Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny I have never heard of atrazine killing corn before. Thats what farmers around here used on corn and milo until the roundup variety came out. I use atrazine on my sweet corn every year as a premergent and raise good corn every year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.