Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

tractor

Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Spike

Default tractor

Looking it a Kabota 2230 (22hp) diesel. Is this a big enough tractor to put in food plots?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

It depends on how big your implements are, how hard the dirt is and how big of area you have in food plots. It should work fine as long as you don't over load it. If I were buying I think I would want one a little larger tho.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your tractor will be fine for food plots if you use smaller disks, etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with timbercruiser--I would go a bit bigger. However, much depends upon the size of your proposed food plots, and the other uses you have for a tractor.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Should work fine. But, you probably should hire out for the initial plowing and prep - this is tough work that will take its toll on a smaller machine. Once you have the plot established, a smaller tractor or even a 4wheeler can be used to maintain it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

I used a 35 horse diesel to get my food plots started. Used a 2 bottom plow and a disk mostly. If you are using a 22 horse tractor, I would would stick to a single disk plow and maybe a 4 or 5 foot max disk. As far as planters go, you should have plenty of ponies to pull a 2 row. Bush hogging might be a problem. In thick stuff (weeds about chest high or taller) my 35 horse can bog down in any gear except 1st.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Kubota 2100 (21hp) in 2001. I used it for mowing the lawn, plowing snow with the bucket loader and a 5' blade, brush hogging with a 4' mower, and food plots with a 4' tiller. It did ok, but I always wished I had more power.

In 2003 I traded it for a B2710 (27hp). It worked much easier, although mowing the lawn was harder as I had a rear mount mower instead of a belly mount mower. If you can swing it, I would go bigger.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't need a big tractor to plant game plots in most toil. This is the smallest of our tractors. It's a Mitsubishi D1600 rated at 18 horsepower bought in 2003. It came with a new 4' brushhog: For $3,000. For 10 years it was the only tractor used at that place. We cleaned up 20 acres of hayfield that was overgrown with sumac and wild plum and kept two miles of roads mowed. Twice every year we planted 3-5 acres of game plots.

That little tractor pulls a 5' tandem disc. Sometimes the wheels spin and the disk has to be raised for a few seconds but it gets the job done. That tractor runs at 2,500 rpm for 8 hours on less than 4 gallons of diesel.