Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Killing Varmits

Old 08-01-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Killing Varmits

I hunt in Central Texas and on our lease we decided to begin a suplental feeding program this last spring. We use gravity feeders filled with protein. The deer have been hitting the stations hard, but so have the racoons. I counted 8 coons under one of the stations last evening, and the rascals are even keeping the deer from coming in. Protein is expensive and I hate to waste it on varmits. We have shot dozens of the racoons and it doesn' t seem to impact their numbers at all. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what we can do to thin out the varmit herd? Have any of you had sucess with traps or poison?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Killing Varmits

I' m not sure if you can feed all the varmits out there. Between turkeys, crows, other birds, coyotes, squirrels, rats and everything else you can' t keep a feeder full. Poisons aren' t the answer because they kill everything. Live traps will get some of them, but you will probably just have to buy more feed.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with coons at my feeder a few years back. Just keep shootin' . Eventually you will get rid of them. Poison is not the way to go as you will likely get the deer too. Traps didn' t work either. Way too slow. Sounds like it' s time to go to Wally World and invest in a brick of .22' s.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:36 AM

Shoot one of the coons and hang him beside the protein feeder.