Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Atv/utv tools???

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default Atv/utv tools???

I do several acres of large foodplots already and would like to make a few small hunting plots. Here is the problem, I do not have small equipment. I can't justify spending the kind of money on an Atv disc. I have seen 400 or 500 dollars and up. My question is, has anyone made their own tools or made an attempt at it? If you have please post some pics and tell me about them or just give me some tips.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

ANYONE? i am interested as well?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can make a servicable ATV disk out of an old tractor or horse pulled disk with a little cutting and welding. An ATV disk needs wheels that can be raised for transport. You can find those old disks if you look around in rural areas. Few years ago i made a spike tooth harrow.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about buying a groundhog max? It's a very affordable disk that goes on the back of your four-wheeler. I know it's kinda small but from the reviews I have read and video's on it, it looks awesome. I ordered one this week for our small food plots. http://www.atvplowsplus.com/shop/pc/...p?idproduct=47
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Atv Disc which is a double row. One row cuts right, while the second row cuts left. The disc is approximately 33 inch wide and weighs 200 pounds. In Canada that disc sells for $449.00 to $499.00 plus tax. One has to add at least 200 pound of weight so it will cut in half descent. I use solid cement blocks. With the cement blocks installed, it is very hard to crank up or down due to the extra weight. The disc will not back up properly due to the design of the hitch, even when lifted. It tends to want to fold with the back end going downward. (If you see a disc of this type on display, try pushing it backward. You will see what I describe). The disc frame is 2 inch square tubing with black plastic or ABS plugs to keep the dirt out and provide a finished look. These plugs are a very poor fit and unless glued in, will fall out. To work half descent, even with the extra weight, the ground has to be soft such as in the spring after the snow melts or after a rain. The blades are serrated, and if you have an angle hand grinder, before assembly (mine came in a box-not set up) sharpen the blades. They are not sharp when purchased due to handling by employees or the customer for safety reasons. In my opinion, after using this one, I wouldn't buy one of this type. I am pulling this disc with a 2004 Honda Rubicon 500. I have lots of power due to the motorcycle type transmission as compared to a belt drive. The only mod this quad has is: 1) "424 front drive shaft" as this quad was a full time 4x4. 2)I also installed a "Detroit Gearless Locker". These both were purchased from Hi Lifter. 3) a large 12 volt car battery to operate the quad and for winch operation in the winter (plowing snow).
The old style disc as "falcon" mentioned can be modified, but as I remember, one had to weight them down as well.
The disc "gunther89" mentions, has nice ajustments, easily transported and reasonably priced. Mounting this on a utility quad with solid rearend would be ideal. I am not certain how it would work on a quad with independant suspension. Hopefully some of the forum members may have seen or had access to one.
Do a Google search for "Atv Disc" . There are several links.

Last edited by littlearrow; 04-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Spike

Well, I bought two sets of single discs out of the paper for a total of $95. Noe I am gathering up scrap steel from work to weld them together to make a decent tandem disc. I hope to get started on them in a couple weeks so wen I get done I'll post some pics.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best all around tool is an old spring tooth harrow.

I have made a one bottom plow for my four wheeler, it works like a charm.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've rented a atv plow disc unit from Gander Mtn. in past to do my small plots.