HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   tall thick plants to use for cover...plot opening up to road (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/341169-tall-thick-plants-use-cover-plot-opening-up-road.html)

syrupman 03-01-2011 04:44 PM

tall thick plants to use for cover...plot opening up to road

my best foodplot is opening up to a public road that gets medium/low traffic...there are about 10 rows of planted pines between the plot and road but they are trimming themself and stuff is not growing in thick there for cover..what type of plant would be best to plant for cover from people/trucks...i live in south georgia so the summers are hot and fall and winter are not that bad..the plot is in a bottom so we get plenty of moisture..i was thinking about some egyptian wheat, thats the best i can come up with...we have all the equipment nessary

jrbsr 03-01-2011 05:03 PM

Clover maybe, clover likes a lot of moisture.

timbercruiser 03-01-2011 07:03 PM

Egyptian wheat would be good, but for a long term cover I would look at a couple of rows of Virginia pine. They won't prune the lower limbs like a loblolly.

M.Magis 03-02-2011 04:51 AM

The only down side to egyptian wheat is you'd have to plant it every year. Switchgrass would work well. Not sure how clover would work as a screening?

hossdaniels 03-02-2011 04:42 PM

I agree with switchgrass. The bigger types love moisture and tolerate a fair amount of acidity in the soil.

My only concern would be the amount of light? I have never tried any in partial to heavy shade like pines.:confused:

Also switchgrass is long term project. Figure 3 years to full benefit.

psandhu 03-03-2011 06:37 AM

Kenaf. I grew some here in Kansas, and it grows fast. It grew about 10' tall in one season, so I'd imagine it would be even taller where you are located. I got my seeds from something like Mississippi State, U of Alabama, U of Georgia, or something like that. It was from their department of agriculture, division of alternative crops.

hossdaniels 03-07-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by psandhu (Post 3781284)
Kenaf. I grew some here in Kansas, and it grows fast. It grew about 10' tall in one season, so I'd imagine it would be even taller where you are located. I got my seeds from something like Mississippi State, U of Alabama, U of Georgia, or something like that. It was from their department of agriculture, division of alternative crops.

^Good stuff. I planted a screen with kenaf and egyptian wheat. 12' easily in a season and kenaf stands all winter. Great stuff but hard to find.

Far as I know, mississippi state is the only place in the country to get a few lbs of seed. It took me forever to find his info to find some to try. Let me search my old emails.....

Got it. Try this guy.

email: [email protected]

Eugene P. Columbus
Agricultural Eng. & Coord. of Biomass Research
Box 9632, 130 Creelman
Mississippi State, MS 39762
662-325-7348

psandhu 03-11-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by hossdaniels (Post 3783475)
^Good stuff. I planted a screen with kenaf and egyptian wheat. 12' easily in a season and kenaf stands all winter. Great stuff but hard to find.

Far as I know, mississippi state is the only place in the country to get a few lbs of seed.

^ My last post made me want to plant some Kenaf again. So last week I poked around and found that guys webpage. I emailed him for 2 ounces of seed, and he replied back within an hour. 2 ounces was $5 delivered. My seeds arrived in the mail yesterday.