Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Durana clover

Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Durana clover

Anyone used this? I just got done reading an article in WU and they said that it is unbelievable, especially in shaded areas. Anyone used it in full sun? Looks like good stuff!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried planting a little this year, but I think the early cold weather killed it just as it was coming up. There is an article in the QDMA magazine that is positive about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

I have an acre planted. Pretty much full sun. pH is poor, so it doesn’t do as well as it should. But, in the areas with good soil (old cattle feeding spots) it does fantastic. Extremely thick, letting almost no weeds at all get through. Not a tall clover, most of mine doesn’t get over 8” tall. Pretty expensive, but it’s supposed to last considerably longer than most other clovers. If it does, it’ll be worth the extra money, especially as well as it shades out competition.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Timbercruiser, being a perennial, it is very slow to establish compared to something like crimson or bermseem clover. It might not look like much now, but I doubt any winter in florida killed it off. Dont give up on it until next summer. That said, I still like to stick with annuals on very sandy soil.

It also has almost double the stolon density of ladino clover. This allows it to compete better with weeds or even cool season grasses, and recover from drought faster.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

Hossdaniels, you say it can even compete with cool season grasses. That would be ideal. We have about 35 acres of old horse pasture.(no livestock) I was really wanting something that could compete with yes, you guessed it, tall fescue. Also, any recommendations on how to get rid of this crap? I have heard tillage, roundup, and burning all help, any experience with this? We are trying to replace a good amount with warm-season grasses. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

2 qts of roundup/acre in a month or so should kill fescue pretty easily. A lot more durana seed is planted in pastures will cool season grasses than food plots. Given that, fescue is tough. Orchard grass or timothy is better.